Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently hunt public land but I am hoping to gain access to some private property. For those of you with experience, what is typically the best time of year to approach landowners/farmers? Are weekends better than week days? I am looking at properties in the fairfield/perry/licking county areas.
Thanks
Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+

·
Banned
955 Posts
I currently hunt public land but I am hoping to gain access to some private property. For those of you with experience, what is typically the best time of year to approach landowners/farmers? Are weekends better than week days? I am looking at properties in the fairfield/perry/licking county areas.
Thanks
Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+
Now is a good time because most farmers are not planting or harvesting. I think you will have better luck in Perry VS Fairfield or Licking. I know Licking county has it's fair share of outfitters and land there is a premium or so I heard. Same thing with Fairfield, very close to Columbus I am sure a lot of those folks knock on doors. Don't know unless you try.......good luck!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was thinking. I wish the Perry county auditors site had property maps like other counties. Any tips to break the ice to get a conversation started?

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Agree with Darron. Now is a good time. I usually go on Sat.mornings. Weekday evenings would be another good time. I say this because a lot of smaller scale farmers may work another job and wont be around on weekdays. I stay from Sundays as people tend to be at church or visiting family.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have a question that kind of pertains to the permission thing.. As of now I am attempting to get permission to hunt this corporations land for bow season. They have give or take about 800 acres within 1/10th of a mile of me. It is partially farmed and there is a fair bit of woods. I was wondering if I don't get permission. Could I go buy some stock in the company and then be considered a shareholder and therefore make it legal for me to hunt??

Yes I am thinking outside of the box since there are a fair few deer there and I mean really. It's right outside my door.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
I have a question that kind of pertains to the permission thing.. As of now I am attempting to get permission to hunt this corporations land for bow season. They have give or take about 800 acres within 1/10th of a mile of me. It is partially farmed and there is a fair bit of woods. I was wondering if I don't get permission. Could I go buy some stock in the company and then be considered a shareholder and therefore make it legal for me to hunt??

Yes I am thinking outside of the box since there are a fair few deer there and I mean really. It's right outside my door.[/QU I dont think that will work.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
i think you should already had done it...everybuddy will be out there now asking...the earlier the better but if youre gonna do it...do it now...:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts