Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I've not seen any physical evidence (a coyote with a g-hog in its' mouth), but there's more than one hunter in this area of the state that agrees the groundhog population is dwindling. I used to cover several miles with my vehicle, going from farm to farm shooting groundhogs. I've not seen more than a half dozen while driving around all the areas that I used to hunt.

I made a trip to Maine, several years ago and talked with some of the local hunters there and they said that they have to be carefull to not shoot too many groundhogs. I asked if there was a such thing as shooting too many groundhogs. They told me that if they shoot too many the coyotes would move in and wipe out the remaining population.

This seems to be the trend in this area. :irked:

Do you see the groundhog population in your area becoming less and less?
If so, do you think that the coyotes are the reason?

Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
its dwindeld alot in my area. I think coyotes could be a possible reason or maybe there is a sickness goin around. I dont know

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Administrator
5,398 Posts
Go check out WPAFB if you want to see them. They are infested there.

·
Ohio Sportsman
1,991 Posts
WPAFB was infested back in the eighties as well. When I was big into hogging back then, driving by the base to WSU looked like monster prairie dog haven at sunset. I haven't hogged in years. I can say they have been minimal around my out-buildings without my intervention. Maybe something is going around.??

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Steve said:
I've not been by there, but it being a military installation, I don't doubt it. I would say it's probably a "no fly zone" for bullets, therefore the g-hog population. :cheeky-smiley-022:

It's the same way with the Lima Tank Plant...plenty of deer, but the soldiers there aren't allowed to shoot them. Neither is anyone else. :coco:

Bowhunter57

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
My farmer buddy blames the coyotes and he has a lot of crop fields, pasture etc that look perfect for hogs. the only place you see any is where there are houses close to roads. Interstate edges seem to be well populated.

It seems like the only place you see them is where grass is cut low. No doubt the hawks do a number on young ones. Also, just walking thru the woods, you seldom see groundhog holes anymore.

·
Ohio Sportsman
1,991 Posts
Yes, I agree. Coyotes and raptors are taking their share...cars too!
In my neck of the woods, loss of habitat may play a small role....
farmers are removing miles of tree lined fence rows. :(

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
population has been way down in my area for 20 years. when the yotes moved into this area it wasn't long before the hogs were disappearing. That is also about the time alot of no till farming started around here along with taking out fene rows.

·
5,040 Posts
This is just a fox.....but he was protecting my bean field! SUNP0012.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
sure must be nice chuck. I have only seen 9 GH's in the past 8 years. I have only been seeing one a year for a long time. But last year I seen 2. 20 years ago I would shoot 20 or more a year.

·
Ohio Sportsman
1,991 Posts
Yep starting to thin out here too we just lost 9 more of them today its strange they all had little holes in their heads.
Scientifically I think this is called...Hyvelociti-projectilitus... something like that. :) It's a condition that effects the hog population everywhere in the country.
[/COLOR]
9 is a good day!! :) That little hole was just on one side correct? ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
You are right about the little hole on 1 side and uglyyyyyyyyyy on the other lol.Yes it was a very good day seen 15 total didnt get shots at them all or course.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It definitely makes a differance in location. I barely see any in Montgomery,Warren or Clinton counties but I've been hunting in Crawford and Wyandot counties with a friend at "his" spots and he's up above 130 kills this year. Believe it or not, we have taken 50 from one farm alone. When he told me how many were on "his" spots, I thought he was BSing me. He proved it to me.
I would love to get behind the fence at Wright Pat, as it stands now, I think we would quickly know how a groundhog feels if we did any shooting there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts