Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd start a thread on the good, the bad, and ugly of archery equipment to pass along some knowledge of some of the new and or old archery equipment. A must have for me is a Therma Cell for those of you who haven't tried them they are a must have for early season to keep bugs away

Mathews Helim Tactical

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Dude that thing rocks:thumbs_up:,hunting,fishing,cookouts...Heck I even use mine in the truck when I am parked glassing for deer with the windows down:bouncy:..

One thing im sold/stuck on is my ASAT camo Vanish Pro 3D leafy suit..If someone asked me to change bows,arrows,Bheads, Tree stands I could unhappily compromise...But Im sold on this suit:bouncy:..I just wear if over my old camo,that I had before I knew any better...Anyone considering ASAT should go for it,the warranty says if you dont see more game in the first year wearing it,they will buy it back..

.Anything Merino wool:thumbs_up: is top of the list too..I got some socks an they are heavenly..

Bad would be My moultrie D50 trail-cam..Its works,but with the horrible slow trigger/sleep mode(3sec sometimes) :(an the 30sec recovery between pics,its not worth a crap on a TRAIL:nono:..A feeding sight or mineral sight it does decent..

Ugly would be a V-neck 100% light wool sweater I got from Goodwill:yikes:..I wear it as a layer..Works great,but it was from goodwill:coco:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a leafy suit made by scent blocker that I love, I don't think you can buy it anymore but leafy/3d suits are great. Also any kind of moisture wicking under garment is great under armor is good but red head brand is just as good and cheaper I have some of both. My bad and ugly goes to wild game innovations cameras I've had terrible luck with these. Oh illuminocks are something else I like didn't buy them until this year but I don't know how I made it without them I absolutely love target shooting with them especially late in the evening.

Mathews Helim Tactical

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Dude that thing rocks:thumbs_up:,hunting,fishing,cookouts...Heck I even use mine in the truck when I am parked glassing for deer with the windows down:bouncy:..

One thing im sold/stuck on is my ASAT camo Vanish Pro 3D leafy suit..If someone asked me to change bows,arrows,Bheads, Tree stands I could unhappily compromise...But Im sold on this suit:bouncy:..I just wear if over my old camo,that I had before I knew any better...Anyone considering ASAT should go for it,the warranty says if you dont see more game in the first year wearing it,they will buy it back..

.Anything Merino wool:thumbs_up: is top of the list too..I got some socks an they are heavenly..

Bad would be My moultrie D50 trail-cam..Its works,but with the horrible slow trigger/sleep mode(3sec sometimes) :(an the 30sec recovery between pics,its not worth a crap on a TRAIL:nono:..A feeding sight or mineral sight it does decent..

Ugly would be a V-neck 100% light wool sweater I got from Goodwill:yikes:..I wear it as a layer..Works great,but it was from goodwill:coco:
Thanks for posting up about the camo. I stalk or still hunt and that camo might help me out.:thumbs_up:

Right now I use duck hunting type of camo for late season when the foliage is off the trees and ground cover. Color wise, it looks like the 3d camo you are talking about. The 3d looks much more like natural cover to me.

RGJZ06

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Wendy and I both have used the thermacell and not real sure what to think about it ...will give it another try this year ...before I decide if its worth taking ...:bouncy:

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Wendy and I both have used the thermacell and not real sure what to think about it ...will give it another try this year ...before I decide if its worth taking ...:bouncy:
Wud kinda arrahs u shoot out yur thermacell - dang new fangled archery equipmentz :confused::rolleyes::rolleyes: dang :whistle::mischeif:

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
I'll be shooting the new Beman ICS Hunter Pro arrows this weekend. I'll let you know what I think.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I'll be shooting the new Beman ICS Hunter Pro arrows this weekend. I'll let you know what I think.
Have you had a chance to shoot Easton's carbon injections yet?

RGJZ06

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
Have you had a chance to shoot Easton's carbon injections yet?

RGJZ06
No...I've pretty much been a Beman guys since getting back into bow hunting a few years ago. These were helical fletched for me. Can't wait to give them a try.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The only arrows I shoot are Carbon Express Maxima Hunters. I wouldn't shoot any other arrow honestly. Compared to last years version the new weight forward design is pretty noticable. Love em

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
The only arrows I shoot are Carbon Express Maxima Hunters. I wouldn't shoot any other arrow honestly. Compared to last years version the new weight forward design is pretty noticable. Love em

I shoot those as well.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
My neoprene muck knee boots are awesome! Got them at gander mtn last year and didn't have wet feet at all while deer and waterfowl hunting.. primos TC 46 is awesome.. scott archerys little bitty goose release works great and adjusts in length very good.. I've got a handheld saw made by remington that works wonders for cutting trails through thickets and shooting lanes.. for xmas I got a field and stream 17.5ft ladderstand.. wasn't a huge fan of ladder stands but I set it up a month ago and its nice.. came with the blind that goes around it which will conceal my movement and a rain shield.. she only paid 200 for it at dicks.. as far as bad equipment, I can't think of anything yet..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think you'll love the ladder stand a lot. I lease a farm in Ky and I've got 8 ladders out I bought the 5' extensions for them. I like them cause they are very solid and safe and extremely quiet to get in and out of. Some ppl will say deer will notice the ladder and see you but I've had deer eating acorns @ the foot of the ladder with me in it, also I have great video to prove it.

Mathews Helim Tactical

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I think you'll love the ladder stand a lot. I lease a farm in Ky and I've got 8 ladders out I bought the 5' extensions for them. I like them cause they are very solid and safe and extremely quiet to get in and out of. Some ppl will say deer will notice the ladder and see you but I've had deer eating acorns @ the foot of the ladder with me in it, also I have great video to prove it.

Mathews Helim Tactical
What Brand- I looked up THE LADDER STAND and didnt find any called this. Most others are noisy,squeeky,wabbly and too short.. And yes the thermacell is great. If you walk and stop it takes some time for scent to encompass you. so you have about a minute of attacks-least in my experience.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
My neoprene muck knee boots are awesome! Got them at gander mtn last year and didn't have wet feet at all while deer and waterfowl hunting.. primos TC 46 is awesome.. scott archerys little bitty goose release works great and adjusts in length very good.. I've got a handheld saw made by remington that works wonders for cutting trails through thickets and shooting lanes.. for xmas I got a field and stream 17.5ft ladderstand.. wasn't a huge fan of ladder stands but I set it up a month ago and its nice.. came with the blind that goes around it which will conceal my movement and a rain shield.. she only paid 200 for it at dicks.. as far as bad equipment, I can't think of anything yet..

wendy kilt her 1st deer on the wayne off one(field and stream ladderstand) from dicks last year...only 70$...and as good as any "expensive"one out there...those stands hold up to our combined weights easily...why pay more when these are as good...:biggrin:we have 3 now...i like the ones with the larger bases...:biggrin::biggrin:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bought my son the Mission Craze this year and that bow is wonderful. 19-30" and 15-70lbs, for $299 if your kids or wife wanna get into archery this bow is great.

Mathews Helim Tactical

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I use 100gr Spitfire broad heads and have never had a problem. For ha ha's I tried rage 2 blade 100gr, they fly well but the glamor and hype tv gives them I just couldn't see it. I only shot 1 deer with them, shot was well placed but tracked the deer for 200-300 yds, I think they are junk but would love to hear other opinions on them.

Mathews Helim Tactical

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What Brand- I looked up THE LADDER STAND and didnt find any called this. Most others are noisy,squeeky,wabbly and too short.. And yes the thermacell is great. If you walk and stop it takes some time for scent to encompass you. so you have about a minute of attacks-least in my experience.
Do you live by a Rural King? I buy all my ladder stands from there because they have them priced right. They sell all major brands but I buy the $59 cheap ones and you can catch them on sale for $49 often. But you can get a dandy with arm rest and nice seats for around $100 I'd say. You can get the 2 man ladders for around $120 put a camo net around the shooting rail let it hang down to cover your movements.You got tons of room to bring a friend or for a lunch box, cooler, snacks, gear whatever if your alone. For private land I love a ladder stand.

Mathews Helim Tactical

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I use 100gr Spitfire broad heads and have never had a problem. For ha ha's I tried rage 2 blade 100gr, they fly well but the glamor and hype tv gives them I just couldn't see it. I only shot 1 deer with them, shot was well placed but tracked the deer for 200-300 yds, I think they are junk but would love to hear other opinions on them.

Mathews Helim Tactical
I'm with ya, always shot muzzy, buddy talked rage up, so I tried them, no good, uses too much kenetic energy to open, I only pull 62 lbs and my Muzzy will go strait through into the ground, rage not so much. That's my opinion.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts