Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard is it to find a farmer willing to let a responsible out of state hunter hunt maybe 2-3 times in a season. I am wanting to find a farmer that would allow me to come and hunt, or is this out of the question? I am responsible and follow all game laws. I am interested in finding a place in southeast Ohio. Would love to find working corn farm. Anyinformation or contact would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
If I were you I would come down on a nice cool day before the season and ask a couple of farmers.... Us in Ohio have the same problem aquiring hunting land..

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
I think it would be real hard...unless you find a lease ...all the people I know in se Ohio are very Leary of strangers ...especially big city people ...not just non res.but res.too...most will let acquaintances and relatives ...your best bet is a common aqaintenane that can vouch for you ...:D

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Not trying to pour cold water, but.....good luck. It's hard enough for an Ohioan to knock on doors, cold, and get permission. But I guess you have to start somewhere. I've spent hours driving and knocking on doors and, eventually, decided I'd try networking instead. But unless you know somebody, anybody, with land in Ohio, that might be kind of tough.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I think it would be real hard...unless you find a lease ...all the people I know in se Ohio are very Leary of strangers ...especially big city people ...not just non res.but res.too...most will let acquaintances and relatives ...your best bet is a common aqaintenane that can vouch for you ...:D
For someone who doesn't like leasing, you certainly do offer it as an option more so than not.

Its really all about luck. You could ask the first farmer and he say "Yes". You could ask 15 and all say "No".

My advice.
Try to make a friend or five on here and maybe they'll invite you to their ground.

What's so special about Ohio? ODNR must have a hell of a PR firm.
I remember being in FL. and hearing them advertising on the radio how big the bucks are and how good the hunting is. Thanks ODNR for puttin that out there.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
For someone who doesn't like leasing, you certainly do offer it as an option more so than not.

Its really all about luck. You could ask the first farmer and he say "Yes". You could ask 15 and all say "No".

My advice.
Try to make a friend or five on here and maybe they'll invite you to their ground.

What's so special about Ohio? ODNR must have a hell of a PR firm.
I remember being in FL. and hearing them advertising on the radio how big the bucks are and how good the hunting is. Thanks ODNR for puttin that out there.

just telling him like it is...if i were him i'd forget private land and hit the great public land ohio has to offer...also non residents are very welcome at deer camp(wn)...we have guys from all over ohio and from a couple other states...look into it on the deer camp(wn)social pages on this site...we take p&y caliber deer and the only cost is license /gas/grub...:bouncy:

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
just telling him like it is...if i were him i'd forget private land and hit the great public land ohio has to offer...also non residents are very welcome at deer camp(wn)...we have guys from all over ohio and from a couple other states...look into it on the deer camp(wn)social pages on this site...we take p&y caliber deer and the only cost is license /gas/grub...:bouncy:
:shhh:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I just knock on doors. The worse thing you will hear is no.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
I just knock on doors. The worse thing you will hear is no.

thats not the best way to do it...you will get a lot of no's...i know a lot of guys put this down but i know of 2 farms that have the yellow hunting with permission signs and they do give permission...these guys are saying its ok to ask me...i do know this,some farmers now post no trespassing signs at their driveway just to stop the bother of people(strangers) stopping by to ask permission...but as i've alwayd said the best way is to get to know some of the locals...go and hunt some public...find a nice bar and go in and buy a few rounds,theres usually not a lot in there as theyre tard of getting caught for dwi...and even make buddies with the bartender...let em know youre hunting...talk hunting all the time...thats what they like...these guys can get you to a place and will vouch for you...thats all the farmer needs to hear...it does work...i know,when i lived near athens,i was that voucher more than once or i hooked em up on the wayne...:D

·
Banned
955 Posts
thats not the best way to do it...you will get a lot of no's...i know a lot of guys put this down but i know of 2 farms that have the yellow hunting with permission signs and they do give permission...these guys are saying its ok to ask me...i do know this,some farmers now post no trespassing signs at their driveway just to stop the bother of people(strangers) stopping by to ask permission...but as i've alwayd said the best way is to get to know some of the locals...go and hunt some public...find a nice bar and go in and buy a few rounds,theres usually not a lot in there as theyre tard of getting caught for dwi...and even make buddies with the bartender...let em know youre hunting...talk hunting all the time...thats what they like...these guys can get you to a place and will vouch for you...thats all the farmer needs to hear...it does work...i know,when i lived near athens,i was that voucher more than once or i hooked em up on the wayne...:D
A no trespassing sign on a drive way has never stopped me from continuing to ask. If anything, it gives me hope because maybe everyone else turned around. I don't feel stopping and asking someone as trespassing.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
A no trespassing sign on a drive way has never stopped me from continuing to ask. If anything, it gives me hope because maybe everyone else turned around. I don't feel stopping and asking someone as trespassing.
Yup. Nothing ventured guarantees nothing gained.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As an out of stater that recently acquired a nice chunk of land, I say do your homework and show up with the right mindset. Your gonna hear some no's and some " sorry we're leased" but you can get access. I'll agree with what coonie says about city folk, don't dress like one!!!! Be presentable, and just talk to the good folks that are in Ohio.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
As an out of stater that recently acquired a nice chunk of land, I say do your homework and show up with the right mindset. Your gonna hear some no's and some " sorry we're leased" but you can get access. I'll agree with what coonie says about city folk, don't dress like one!!!! Be presentable, and just talk to the good folks that are in Ohio.

:biggrin:
Country people see all the killings and home invasions...rapes...just all the crime associated with cities ...its really nothing personal ...they just dont know thus guy wanting to hunt and no matter how hard you try...you just cant hide youtr from the city ...they'll let people they know ...all that asks...

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
****, you kill me man. Aint nothin wrong with people from the city, theres buttheads everywhere.

But you are right, you can smell a city man a mile away, dont matter how he dresses.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Living in the country dont mean you are country. But if you grew up in the city, forget it. You arent gonna be country, no matter how hard you try.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Never had much of a problem getting permission in SE Ohio. I have only asked for turkey, as I deer hunt closer to home. Just spend a day in the area of your interest knocking on doors and you should come up with something. As far as people being paranoid and leary of strangers, I never saw it. I have had many people in the Athens area invite me to step into their homes while they wrote me permission, and they didnt know me from Adam. IMO stay away from public during any gun season if you value your life.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Never had much of a problem getting permission in SE Ohio. I have only asked for turkey, as I deer hunt closer to home. Just spend a day in the area of your interest knocking on doors and you should come up with something. As far as people being paranoid and leary of strangers, I never saw it. I have had many people in the Athens area invite me to step into their homes while they wrote me permission, and they didnt know me from Adam. IMO stay away from public during any gun season if you value your life.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0
Same here. I hunted private land north of Mcarthur for over ten years. The man that owned the land would invite me in for early morning coffee and toast. He even went with me to recover deer a few times. When he died I talked to his family about him and they said he really looked forward to me coming down to hunt each year and liked my visits. He gave me the right to hunt on his land and he didn't know me at all. I was born and raised in Columbus so this crap about city guys is a bunch of bull.

RGJZ06

·
Registered
679 Posts
Same here. I hunted private land north of Mcarthur for over ten years. The man that owned the land would invite me in for early morning coffee and toast. He even went with me to recover deer a few times. When he died I talked to his family about him and they said he really looked forward to me coming down to hunt each year and liked my visits. He gave me the right to hunt on his land and he didn't know me at all. I was born and raised in Columbus so this crap about city guys is a bunch of bull.

RGJZ06
RGJZ and Wildman,

I'm with you fellas'. Calling BS on this city/country thing.
Was born in CBus. And moved to the country at a young age.
Quickly learned, relearned, and relearned (again) that good people are good people. It has nothing to do with your background, and everything to do with how you treat folks. So, unless anyone disagrees, let's drop the "city/country" labels. Cool?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
The whole city slicker thing makes a little sense, but I believe it depends on the person. See, most country folks I know think city folks are flakey. They don't do what they say they'll do and to country folk, your word is your bond. They also tend to not respect how things are in the country. Country folk are pretty set in their ways and don't take kindly to folks coming in and changing things. Now it's not necessarily hunters, but folks who buy property and just aren't very friendly towards their neighbors. But, like I said, it all depends on the person. I'm from Cincy, but have a lot of friends out in Adams/Scioto counties. I've never disrespected them and I never say I'll do something and not do it. You have to earn their respect or a place in their lives and theyll treat you like family. They still give me a hard time (sometimes), but I've learned if they don't give you a hard time, they don't like you. I've met some of my best friends in the last five years out there. If you don't act like your better than them and are respectful and polite, you'll do just fine finding a place to hunt.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts