Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) Do any you guys put apples out for the hunt for 1 a cover up and/or 2 for a bait?

2) If so should I put some out near my corn feeder now or wait till the hunt?

3)And whats the best apples from a store thats been sitting for a week or so or finding a local with a apple tree and picking apples off the ground?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Any apples you can get are good. I get pics of big bucks over apples more than corn.
I use a lot of apples when I can get them. The does and fawns don't seem to care for apples as much as bucks do.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Someone suggested this to me-
If it's your place, or a place you can hunt for the long-term, consider planting some apple trees. If you wait until end of the season you can usually buy them at a fraction of the price. In addition to the local nurseries, be sure to check Home Depot and Lowes. The Lowes near us was selling their leftovers for $14.99.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
any way you look at it ...its baiting *...i do agree with the statement that big bucks really seem to love em...

*baited

·
Registered
679 Posts
****. I agree if you are talking about walking into the woods with a 5 gallon bucket of apples. Planting some apple trees then waiting 6-10 yrs for it to bear fruit is probably not much different than hunting an oak ridge.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
****. I agree if you are talking about walking into the woods with a 5 gallon bucket of apples. Planting some apple trees then waiting 6-10 yrs for it to bear fruit is probably not much different than hunting an oak ridge.

I'll go with that. Weather Ur hunting around fruit tree's or a nut mast tree its baiting then rite??

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have an apple tree in my yard and the little apples that have fallen off it already are being eaten up by a couple of does that venture into the yard. The doe that has 2 fawns with her was just in the yard today eating some apples.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts

Well Said!

I've never hunted over bait, but I have hunted the edge of an apple orchard.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts

I can agree somewhat ...but today I was on an oak ridge that was surrounded by miles and miles of oaks oaks and more oaks ...you just have a tougher job figuring out which oak to hunt ...there's millions of them ...so with that comparison ...its not the same ...but I agree its not like hovering over a tub of apples ...:D

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have more apples then i know what to do with. I always dump them in the corn field i hunt over to get pics of the bucks in the area. Come hunting season i don't do it anymore.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I can agree somewhat ...but today I was on an oak ridge that was surrounded by miles and miles of oaks oaks and more oaks ...you just have a tougher job figuring out which oak to hunt ...there's millions of them ...so with that comparison ...its not the same ...but I agree its not like hovering over a tub of apples ...:D
Coonie, whens the last time you even killed a deer? You spend so much time typing useless information in here that Im surprised you can fit anything into your schedule, especially hunting.

Does it really take up to ten years before the trees bear fruit? I thought about putting some in.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I put my huntin clothes in a trash bag with leaves and apples in it to cover up any other scent. Works good

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
679 Posts
JB,

Seedlings will take 6-10 to bear fruit. If you are able to find some more mature ones, and take care of them, they should bear fruit sooner. The ones at Lowes last year were 4-5', so you would think they'd be bearing fruit a bit sooner.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Legal is legal right? No Matter how you look at it, it's legal.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
JB,

Seedlings will take 6-10 to bear fruit. If you are able to find some more mature ones, and take care of them, they should bear fruit sooner. The ones at Lowes last year were 4-5', so you would think they'd be bearing fruit a bit sooner.

Thanks for the info bnye! I would like to put a small orchard in. I have heard apple trees need to be planted in numbers to be successful and bear good fruits?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Coonie, whens the last time you even killed a deer? You spend so much time typing useless information in here that Im surprised you can fit anything into your schedule, especially hunting.
I thought he pazzed on lotza deerz,he coulda shot?:whistle:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Thanks for the info bnye! I would like to put a small orchard in. I have heard apple trees need to be planted in numbers to be successful and bear good fruits?

JB,

I'm no expert, but yes. Sir Google says apple trees should be planted in pairs so that they pollinate and bear fruit. Otherwise, you'll have a lot of blooms, but little to no fruit. Never knew. Anyhow, we planted some trees on my Dad's place many years ago. There's about 8 total, a mix of apple and pear. Most years there is so much fruit on them, the branches practically droop to the ground. They are about 80 yards from his house. I'll spend hours on stand, climb down, walk back to his house (past the fruit trees) only to find a dandy buck eating the fruit from the trees. Never fails. I've done this for 20+ years now. You'd think I'd wise-up at some point. Right?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Well Said!

I've never hunted over bait, but I have hunted the edge of an apple orchard.
:tsk: Uuuummmm.. I think you baited then. If there is edible food or water in a spot that you hunt, I would consider it baited. That said ...I hunt bait as much as I can find.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts