Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
i have pears as well, and this is the first year they have had a good crop of pears, and i put a cam on the tree when they started falling and the deer tore things up.

if you want to save some money, go to lowes or home depot around the end of july, when they are liquidating their stock, and they have them on sale for 75 or more percent off.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have pears as well, and this is the first year they have had a good crop of pears, and i put a cam on the tree when they started falling and the deer tore things up.

if you want to save some money, go to lowes or home depot around the end of july, when they are liquidating their stock, and they have them on sale for 75 or more percent off.
Ill have to try that. Next spring im going to be busy. lol. I heard someone say peaches but i have never seen any actually grow in Ohio.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Peaches are tough for orchards to even get good crops. Too tender in the spring and get wiped out by frost. Persimmons tend to be popular. A google search will turn up quite a few "high end" cultivars for about any fruit bearing tree for deer. Then just buy the cheap one (or the expensive ones). The suggestion is good on Lowes/Home Depot. They are going to be larger than any you order.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ill have to try that. Next spring im going to be busy. lol. I heard someone say peaches but i have never seen any actually grow in Ohio.
There was a couple peach trees at my parents last house that did remarkably well. It had so many peaches under it you couldnt mow it. It had been established for almost 25 years tho. I need to plant some fruit trees.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts