Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hunting Wayne national for a week now around 78 and 555 . I scouted a bit before season and heard gobbling everywhere . Just wondered if anyone is having any luck around the area , or hearing much going on .

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was in Wayne, a bit west of you, closer to Murray City on Saturday, in the woods at 0530 didn't leave until 1200. Ended up being a beautiful day, little chilly, but I had two little valleys all to myself, it was real nice. Would've have been a little nicer if I hadn't got two flat tires on the way home, but such is life.

Didn't hear or see a thing all day long, no sign of turkey either, no scat or anything.

Next weekend, thinking of trying Woodbury.

Good luck down there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would think two flat tires would ruin any huntin trip quick . I still been huntin down that way a bit. I don't know if it's the weather or what's going on but I know three weeks ago they were going crazy in the woods everywhere I went . I hear an occasional gobble but when ya move on it is like a ghost . I guess that's why is called hunting .

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
28 Posts
Shot a big bird down there on Wednesday . 24 lbs 11 1/2 beard 1 1/2 spurs .. Walked him in at 11:30 lol from a long way away heard decent amounts of birds still gobbling at 10-12 .. Good luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats on that . I tried a few different places and heard some but I guess it's time to break out the GPS and go were people usually won't venture to .

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks.. To be honest we hunted our lease near lower Salem that's usually loaded with turkeys all season and didn't hear a bird. So my buddy said he lets grab a bite and go check out Wayne.. I said ok so we drove over there found a trail walked up the hill a few hundred yds and stated calling..turkey gods looked down on me lol .. I wish you good luck throughout . I also heard salt fork was pretty good...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank ya . I don't know how they will act this week being that It's going to be high in the eighties but I'm gonna keep after it . Just all the years I have been Turkey hunting it seems like the action dies after eight or nine . Just never have much luck late in the morning .

·
Registered
665 Posts
Thank ya . I don't know how they will act this week being that It's going to be high in the eighties but I'm gonna keep after it . Just all the years I have been Turkey hunting it seems like the action dies after eight or nine . Just never have much luck late in the morning .

With the warm weather I usually don't either. I like to call real aggressive later in the morning of nothing is happening. If a bird is close they'll usually respond and are willing to come on in!!!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Me and a buddy usually hunt the first week a little south and west of there in the wayne. no luck youth season, heard quite a few opening day and fewer and fewer as the week went on. killed one monday and messed up on two others on tuesday, not much action the rest of the week.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts