Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you all going elk hunting this year? I'd like to go this year, but I'll be deployed overseas during elk season. I'm hoping to go next year.

Thunderflight

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
if the plans come together i'll be hunting private property around telluride colorado during the 2nd rifle season this year.
it's only taken a couple of years of working a side job to save up enough for the trip.
i'm stoked,when this weather cracks i'm gonna start shooting the new rifle and get into a little better shape for the hunt.
just can't wait to get into that country:D

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Boy i wish i could but ibelieve i would have to go Caribou hunting in the artic first before elk then elk hunt,But wallet keeps me from enjoying this at the present time but will someday.
To all of you that get to go and hunt some elk this year:Good luck and have fun

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey George and others;

Do you think another thread of elk tips and strategies is in order. I am also applying for my first trip. I want to say that my party is going around the south central area. I found a pretty good site
http://www.jacksonholewyoming.net/elk/index.html

I currently inherited a Model 70 Winchester .375 H&H that I would love to use. It is a bit big, but I don't think that bull elk will go very far!! I may get an T/C Encore with a .300 Win Mag and take also.
I would love to start gathering some tips and such to prepare.
-Gear
-Gun
-Camp setups
-calls

thanks for the feedback guys!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
the one thing that i'd sure like to do is show up a couple of days early to get acclimated to the altitude.
is anyone going to be hunting in unit 70?

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
I would love to go!! But having a wife and kids, just don't have the budget for it. I'll keep dreaming.

·
Registered
16,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just got back from Fallon, Nevada.

The elevation was only 4,000 feet and it literally kicked my butt the first time I went running (I live as close to sea level as you can get).

I went sking at Lake Tahoe one weekend and really felt it when I was on top the mountain (10,866 ft).

If your going I'd recommend going a day or two early to get used to the altitude. Drink alot of water (couldn't believe how thirsty I was) and make sure your in shape.

Thunderflight

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
we will be camped at about 10,501 ft.yup i will be shaping up in those athens county hills,walking 10+ miles at a fast step...last time it took about a day to get accimated to the thinner air...gotta be prepared for all situations in the mountains

1 - 20 of 20 Posts