Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am n southwest Ohio and saw only one Jake all season! Did you al have low count as well? It was a wet one last year, think it hurt '11 hatch ? Be tough here n couple years!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I actually saw more jakes this year than I have in a number of years in the past and I'm hunting in the NE. Saw groups of 6, 9, and 5 in 3 different areas regularly all within 1.5 miles of eachother but were definitely different flocks of birds. Good to see and hopefully we have a nice hatch this year!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I think the hatch varies in different areas. In SE ohio, last years hatch must have been.awsome because there is jakes out the butt here

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Banned
955 Posts
Called in two jakes opening day before harvesting my first long beard of the season and called in 6 jakes the first Saturday of season. I have seen as many as 9 on trail cam. I hope they all make it through:yikes:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hunted 2 days this year. Called in 11 jakes two different groups two different areas. 3 long beards. Plenty of Turks in se Ohio

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well sounds like most of yea have plenty up and comers. But as long as I keep seeing toms I don't care to see another Jake! Thanks for the in-put!

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
Very few Jakes in the areas I hunted this spring...and the few that I saw were jake-and-a-halfs or early born birds from last year. The torrential down pours that hit this area in late May / early June last year must have really knocked them back. Not many 2 year olds either. Almost every bird we took had a sharp spur. The good news is the weather has been excellent this spring and we're seeing lots of hens with poults.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea we seen that same thing! This hatch should be a lot better!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts