Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
My son called 2 in on Sunday while turkey scouting. We saw them mousing in a field, and he yelped on his diaghram call. Nothing. Then he clucked and purred, they broke almost fullspeed straight at us. they locked up at about 40 yards, then figured out we werent turks, and bolted.

The cool thing was, one was totally black. Gonna keep trying to get em.

·
Registered
474 Posts
im not 4 sure i know of many ppl that use it and it works wonders its always a good call year round. but in my opinion the pups should be hitting the ground very soon so mid may for me and im going nite and day to see which more productive

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Pup distress will work all year, but especially now thru summer. We hunt during the day, and have called them in pretty much anytime, but the first hours of daylight, and the last hours seem to be more productive.

yoteexterminator is right, I am sure alot of people dont use it or hunt them this time of year. This might be the next best time after Jan., Feb., or March.

·
Registered
474 Posts
if i had to guess it seems as if it would be much easier to kill/see one at nite useing a good light to scan for eyes than see one in this thick cover cause odds are they most likly wont come out of the thick cover

·
Registered
411 Posts
Last weekend I went for a walk/scouting trip to some ground that I have hunted for about 10 years. Did not take a gun with me and walked right up on a huge coyote that was almost laying under my Dad's ladderstand. I would have had several shot opp's had I taken a gun. Oh well I will get a chance again I am sure.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
1030 this morning, visiting a new public hunting area. let go with the turkey box call and within a few minutes, a coyote is out in the open staring at me. only had the ccw snub nose, so not allowed to shoot.

Brings up an interesting question, turkey rules specify legal shot size for turks, but are you allowed have a few slugs in case you call in a yote? I dont think the rule book addresses this question.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My cousin and I called in two of them last week Friday night. I was using my Burnham brothers mini blaster for about 45 seconds and we flipped on our kill lights and spotted them. Only shot one of them though.

Pup distress is a good year around, but more so around this time and the coming months. Very good opportunities to get out and get the "young and dumb" .

·
Super Moderator
1,505 Posts
Brings up an interesting question, turkey rules specify legal shot size for turks, but are you allowed have a few slugs in case you call in a yote? I dont think the rule book addresses this question.
A turkey load is more than enough to drop a yote at the right distance.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I like hunting the pups a little later in the summer,,,more around late july or august, that seems to be when the pups are ready to venture out on their own a little.

As of for now Im gonna set some traps and see if that catches anything.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I like hunting the pups a little later in the summer,,,more around late july or august, that seems to be when the pups are ready to venture out on their own a little.

As of for now Im gonna set some traps and see if that catches anything.[/QUOTE]

So when you set traps now,(which is legal on yotes but questionable), just what do you do when you catch a fox or '****,(aside from also catching a possible large deserved fine)?:thumbs_down:

·
Registered
125 Posts
I use coyote gland lure and coyote urine in my dirty holes this time of year to prevent ***** and foxes from investigating it. Typically they do not investigate a hole with a canine scents. I also called the wild life enforcement officer for my county told him what I was doing, what I was using, informed him that it is not my intention to trap anything out of season. He told me that as long as I release any animals caught out of season, he is ok with what Im doing.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
TrueNorth-not tryiong to give you a hard time but just asking you to think before you set leg-holds. The question to ask a warden is what's the consequence of a fox with a twisted broken leg or a **** that's chewed his paw off? If you're using legholds and they'll hold a coyote,(#2 modified with 4 coil, laminated jaws, and base plated), they'll screw up a fox or **** to the point you can't release it and think it'll be able to catch food or survive. I've trapped plenty of the 3 amimals and if you think a fox or **** won't go near yote urine or gland lure that is completely wrong. The year before this last season I had a post about **** clogging my yote sets as I was catching some every day in dirt holes.:biggrin:

·
Registered
833 Posts
x2 redvette. hope your doing good after your surgery.
wait until you have a skunk waiting for you also, have fun releasing one of them ALIVE. i caught one on this year on coyote gland lure. dogs also enjoy the smells of coyote, hell my lab even ate coyote poop once and had to take meds to get rid of parasites. unless you are a high number coyote trapper or an adc trapper, which there are very few of, i doubt you will even make an impact on the population. i would think the risk vs. reward is not good enough. but good luck and use your best judgement.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.