Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

Any suggestions on an Owl Hooter

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  jericho 
#1 ·
I never had any luck with a Crow call, going to pick up an Owl Hooter this year. Any one have any suggestions on which one to get? What works for you?

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
You guys can feel free to laugh at this, but you can make your own outta an old plastic coke bottle with the cap on and a piece of bamboo or very wide straw at least half the length of the bottle. Cut a hole in the bottle side just down from where the bottle rounds into the thin part at the top of the bottle, between the size of a penny and a nickel. Start small and play with size and oval shape to get the right pitch. Attach the straw to blow over the hole with some support underneath (I used duct tape, but you could come up with a more elegant solution) so that the straw points toward the hole at an angle. The key is figuring the right angle to get the air flow to provide a nice rich tone. Kinda ugly, but the sound is good and will work in a pinch. I've used it a few times with success.

I personally use a generic knight and hale and the have had decent luck with it.

#8 ·
I use the H S Strut Owl hooter. I have been using it for years and is the best one I have found.It works great in the morning and then switch to my crow call. What is nice about a crow is when a bird hangs up or goes quiet, wait about 15-20 mins. and hit the crow call and he will give up his position.

#11 ·
First, get a very inquisitive owl. :whistle:

I have been using the HS Strut Owl call. It was originally in a "Shock Gobble"" kit. I don't like the crow call so much, but I have actually called in owls over my head with the owl call. It takes a small amount of practice but works great!

#12 ·
First, get a very inquisitive owl. :whistle:

I have been using the HS Strut Owl call. It was originally in a "Shock Gobble"" kit. I don't like the crow call so much, but I have actually called in owls over my head with the owl call. It takes a small amount of practice but works great!
That's the hoot tube. I use it more on owls than turkey.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.