Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was supposed to be my supper yesterday but, after a double workout at the fitness center in the morning followed by 1 ½ hrs mowing, cleaning out about 50’ of gutter, starting a plumbing repair, & doing some chainsaw work. I was too tuckered to mess with the grill. It was in the mid to high 80s today which is too damned hot to be doing what I did. At least the knee is working pretty well going up & down a 7’ step ladder many times.

The hot dogs & kielbasa are part of an Omaha Steaks package I got for my BD. Thx, Etta. The squash & tator went on 1st, then the onion, then the dogs & ‘basa, with the ‘shroom last. I’ve never grilled a Portobello so it was trial & error.

My SOP is to start the squash upside down, then turning it, & adding butter & brown sugar. The tator will also get the butter & brown sugar treatment after plating.

It took about an hour start to finish. The ‘shroom could have grilled awhile long but everything else was ready & I didn’t want to either over cook everything else or let it get cold. Once again, the grill did a great job & everything came out real tasty!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Wow - that knee must be getting stronger !!! And great job on the grill!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow - that knee must be getting stronger !!! And great job on the grill!
Thx.

It's coming along real well. Last week, was able to use my push/pull weedeater & Tues I cleaned out about 50' of rain gutter & did some chainsaw work. Hopefully by the end of Aug, it will be good enough that I can get into the woods & cut up a couple of trees that have fallen on my 4-wheeler trail. Just have to be mindful & careful.

Reactions: jethro

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you're inclined, I have an "in my head" recipe for amazing Stuffed Portaabella Mushrooms: Wipe top of shrooms with paper towels. (NEVER RINCE W/ WATER) Snap out stem, save, marinade and cook, great snack. Using a spoon, clean out gills. Mix 1 part Olive oil, 1 Pt basalmic vinegar, (your choice of seasonings) a dash of garlic and onion powder, salt, Italian seasoning. (amount of all ingredients depends on the number of shrooms) I lay them in a brownie pan, pour the marinade into each cap, let sit a couple minutes, flip, use a brush to coat the top. (shrooms suck it up quick). Prep your grill, cook over medium heat, cap side down 4-7 minutes, flip, fill each with chopped fresh tomato, chopped fresh basil & goat cheese with chives, close lid, melt cheese, and grill till tender but not wilted. (Sharp Cheddar is good too)
Serve on grilled onion bun drizzled with Basalmic Reduction, Romain and thin sliced onion. (Toppings & spices can be changed to your taste, this is just how I do it)
Bon Apitite 😊👍

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you're inclined, I have an "in my head" recipe for amazing Stuffed Portaabella Mushrooms: Wipe top of shrooms with paper towels. (NEVER RINCE W/ WATER) Snap out stem, save, marinade and cook, great snack. Using a spoon, clean out gills. Mix 1 part Olive oil, 1 Pt basalmic vinegar, (your choice of seasonings) a dash of garlic and onion powder, salt, Italian seasoning. (amount of all ingredients depends on the number of shrooms) I lay them in a brownie pan, pour the marinade into each cap, let sit a couple minutes, flip, use a brush to coat the top. (shrooms suck it up quick). Prep your grill, cook over medium heat, cap side down 4-7 minutes, flip, fill each with chopped fresh tomato, chopped fresh basil & goat cheese with chives, close lid, melt cheese, and grill till tender but not wilted. (Sharp Cheddar is good too)
Serve on grilled onion bun drizzled with Basalmic Reduction, Romain and thin sliced onion. (Toppings & spices can be changed to your taste, this is just how I do it)
Bon Apitite 😊👍
Thx. I may give that a try.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts