Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any good ideas on discouraging ***** from your feeder. I put out a tripod feeder last week and within a few days the ***** climbed up the legs and about destroyed the feeder unit.:rant: I put cooking oil on the legs yesterday after I put it back together. They also chewed up the unit to where it is not water proof now.:rant: Any ideas???

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
make the body out of a steel trash can...or 50 gallon drum...then put a hinged lid on and lock it with a padlock...thatll stop them...except for eating it on the ground...i've heard of them living in feeders...heh heh heh...neat...:biggrin:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I always had the same trouble, they would actually eat the lids off. Thats why i switched to the minerals im mixing. The only thing other than deer that touch it is hogs.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
But to compare corn to minerals is apples and oranges.. Even your super mix 41..

I hang mine from a tree instead of from the ground.. It has to be far enough from a tree and high enough that they can not reach. but it works for me.. My problem is if it is windy it moves and triggers my cam. One week and I will have 1200 pic's. it is like a plot watcher.. I have to fix that problem some how....

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Just get some hardware cloth 1"x2" and make a cage and attach it to the barrel. it will stop them and they will stop climbing on it. I have one on the feeder pictured. They will climb and hang from it and then lose interest.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Bowhunter 41 where you seeing hogs down that way. I have hunted several counties down your way and never ran into one. My family lives in Lawrence county.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Just get some hardware cloth 1"x2" and make a cage and attach it to the barrel. it will stop them and they will stop climbing on it. I have one on the feeder pictured. They will climb and hang from it and then lose interest.
Great idea. What do you find is the best way to attach it to the barrel so it's secure, and yet removable?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts