Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have thought about this the past few years but thought now might be a good time to ask.... not so much on this site or this year but Amish hunters are very often stereotyped in a negative way on hunting and fishing sites. I should note I know no Amish nor have had much to deal with them other than a few encounters fishing and or hunting. Several of these encounters were not all that positive but that is not my point. My thoughts are why is it that sites allow bashing of this group when they never would tolerate this of any other group based upon race or religion. Could it be that because they are not on line they are not going to complain? Just one of those random questions that linger in ones brain?

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Because it's an open forum where people can post about there experiences. If they are positive then the post is positive.. If they are negative then the post are negative..

Are you suggesting that the open shouldn't be so open? Not open enough to talk about experiences?

·
Banned
5,409 Posts
you have some good Amish and some that play the I don't speak English but really do card. Mohican and Woodbury and grand river gets pounded by these guys. I have talked to a few decent ones, one of them told me don't buy a certain camera or cheap bucket feeder cause they take batteries. I was like what the heck they take batteries and your Amish I though to myself.

When I hunted Woodbury a few times they rode around in cargo vans and didn't care if they walked in on you and actually would stand there and stare a hole through you like your supposed to bowed down to them. there was a rumor going around Mohican one shot someone's goat and then played the don't speak English or I didn't know better card and I think he got away with it.

personally I have no problem with them as they are people too but a few years back when we hit woodbury I was about to walk in and parked in a pull off so tight I almost drove in the ditch. they pull up and sit there and stare at me with the most evil look someone could give and then unloaded and walked right on in the way I was going. "normal people" don't do that. when I wave at them or say hi they look at you like don't talk to me.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Because it's an open forum where people can post about there experiences. If they are positive then the post is positive.. If they are negative then the post are negative..

Are you suggesting that the open shouldn't be so open? Not open enough to talk about experiences?
You missed my point. What one experiences is just that. I am speaking of lumping all in one based upon those experiences. No way this would go on if a race or religion were singled out but with Amish it seems all bets are off. No big deal to me just something I have noticed and wondered about. As with many other groups there are often many that fit a stereotype. But not all and big trouble comes when lumping groups this way. In our pc culture these type of things are not allowed to go on. Just pointing out something that puzzles me.

838 Posts
Its like anything, the sterotype doesnt fit all amish, but to be 100% honest, its usually true.

I have always hunted with or close to amish hunters and its just a fact that alot of them will use up all wildlife. They also have big families and will decimate deer from a woods, or literally fish out a farm pond.

Its a mentality, its real, doesnt make them horrible people, just people you dont want to share wildlife resources with!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its like anything, the sterotype doesnt fit all amish, but to be 100% honest, its usually true.

I have always hunted with or close to amish hunters and its just a fact that alot of them will use up all wildlife. They also have big families and will decimate deer from a woods, or literally fish out a farm pond.

Its a mentality, its real, doesnt make them horrible people, just people you dont want to share wildlife resources with!
Good points buckslayer. All most likely very true. My question still goes back to even if it is true why do sites allow negative stereotyping of a people to go on when we all know if this were done to the Irish, Jews, blacks etc.it would not be allowed to continue. I just find it strange that's all.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
The ones I have witnessed were deer killers, not hunters. As for your question Mike, I have no idea why its allowed but I am glad we are not prohibited from venting our negative experiences.

·
Banned
5,409 Posts

an old timer at woodbury told me they show up 4-5 cargo vans deep and squirrel hunt all day. I wondered why I didn't see any squirrel when I hunted there. :)

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The ones I have witnessed were deer killers, not hunters. As for your question Mike, I have no idea why its allowed but I am glad we are not prohibited from venting our negative experiences.
I have had a few negative encounters of my own. I am glad you see my point. I was not sure I was clear about the question I was throwing out there. So even though you are glad it is allowed you agree it is odd? That was my point. In this day age just odd that it goes on. Name calling and or personal attacks are not allowed but it is ok to down an entire group. Just odd.... is what got me thinking and hence the post.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The worst part is that the majority of
Amish own farms or their family own farms, and they have completely decimated the local game population on their farms so they move on to greener pastures. One of my major beefs with Amish is that they play the "simple, old time way of life" card yet they readily utilize trail cams, all have cell phones, and have "English" drivers tote them to far away hunting destinations.
I was astounded after having an early morning conversation with an Amishmen in a McDonald's parking lot earlier this fall telling me about his recent bowhunting experiences with an outfitter in Illinois. Man his horse sure must have been tired after that run back from Illinois to NE Ohio...

·
Banned
5,409 Posts
The worst part is that the majority of
Amish own farms or their family own farms, and they have completely decimated the local game population on their farms so they move on to greener pastures. One of my major beefs with Amish is that they play the "simple, old time way of life" card yet they readily utilize trail cams, all have cell phones, and have "English" drivers tote them to far away hunting destinations.
I was astounded after having an early morning conversation with an Amishmen in a McDonald's parking lot earlier this fall telling me about his recent bowhunting experiences with an outfitter in Illinois. Man his horse sure must have been tired after that run back from Illinois to NE Ohio...
The camera thing shocked the crap out of me. we went to pickup a new camera and seen a bucket feeder because it was $20 and the amish guy who was really nice says oh that's a good camera I have 3 of them and says that feeder is junk I couldn't get any of the batteries to work right the terminals were messed up. I'm like wait a min cameras are electronics, you need a computer to view cards or a reader. he says he has like 300 acres too.

I always see them at fin Ashland buying expensive shotguns and hunting gear too. I guess they hide in the old way of life so they don't have to pay taxes but get to do everything else.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
The camera thing shocked the crap out of me. we went to pickup a new camera and seen a bucket feeder because it was $20 and the amish guy who was really nice says oh that's a good camera I have 3 of them and says that feeder is junk I couldn't get any of the batteries to work right the terminals were messed up. I'm like wait a min cameras are electronics, you need a computer to view cards or a reader. he says he has like 300 acres too.

I always see them at fin Ashland buying expensive shotguns and hunting gear too. I guess they hide in the old way of life so they don't have to pay taxes but get to do everything else.
But they do pay land taxes just like you and I and their tax money goes to fund the schools that our children go to and they also pay to send their children to the 1 room Amish school they built in the middle of a hay field some where.
I have lived around worked with and worked for amish my whole life I have amish friends and Not all Amish are deer killers I have run into some that will kill as many deer as they can, take the deer home and have kids tag them that weren't even out that day. Where I work we are also a deer check station we have called the GW on some things we knew weren't right but since nothing could be proved for certain nothing was done.

I can tell you that the Amish are protected in Holmes County sorta above the law unless it is something extremely serious,and I think that is why alot of folks like to distance themselves from the amish

Alot of folks talk about them because they don't understand their way of life or refuse to except it!

There are some more modern day amish that will use the trail cams card readers and even have freezers and such stuff in a rented building some place close to home, But the old order amish have nothing of the sort and still cut trees down with a 2 man hand saw and cut it up for fire wood like that too

·
Registered
464 Posts
Growing up in Geauga county I can say that I have never had a positive experience with them there. True Amish bash this pocket of Amish as well. All the Amish that I have met in other pockets I have never had a negative experience with. You have to treat people as individuals because if you lump people into groups there will always be bad apples in that group that will bring the entire group down.

·
Super Moderator
3,126 Posts
I My thoughts are why is it that sites allow bashing of this group when they never would tolerate this of any other group based upon race or religion. Could it be that because they are not on line they are not going to complain? Just one of those random questions that linger in ones brain?
Have you noticed the way non-residents get hammered on Ohio hunting sites?

Reactions: ohihunter2014

·
Registered
625 Posts
The fact, and I say fact is they are horrible to wildlife management and it’s about time the game wardens do their job and start busting them, every neighborhood they move into they decimate that deer herd that good ethical hunters have worked hard to manage in a short period of time, obviously not achieved by legal methods. I have spent 35 years managing our property to a good balance of trophy class deer, then came the Amish buying up everything around us and now 35 years of efforts and money gone in 2 years of their horrible ways, my neighbors are all sick of them, something has to be done soon before it ends in a bad way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have thought about this the past few years but thought now might be a good time to ask.... not so much on this site or this year but Amish hunters are very often stereotyped in a negative way on hunting and fishing sites. I should note I know no Amish nor have had much to deal with them other than a few encounters fishing and or hunting. Several of these encounters were not all that positive but that is not my point. My thoughts are why is it that sites allow bashing of this group when they never would tolerate this of any other group based upon race or religion. Could it be that because they are not on line they are not going to complain? Just one of those random questions that linger in ones brain?
There is bad, inexperienced, and methods use by hunters of all races, groups, and religion. If it were a Jewish family , (example) that move in next to you and you didn't like their hunting practices, you would be complaining about them also. Forums past and present like this one should not be allowed here. If there are issues with with neighbors breaking the laws, call the game warden. Enjoy your farm where you hunt and don't worry about what your neighbors are doing on their property.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts