Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after being fortunate enough for my son to harvest some young wood ducks...…I got a little hungry at lunch on break and looked in the fridge to see the breasts marinating.....

note: this post will not be as good as a write up as Bluedog or HunterGKS would have done.....they are much more talented than me at writing an engaging story (and I forget to take pics while cooking)!!

I've been marinating my duck breasts in a mixture I found at a local restaurant with a great duck recipe
marinade: 1 part olive oil
1/4 part liquid smoke
1 Tbsp. minced garlic ( I use jarred)
marinade overnight.....
cook with the following method/time, wood duck breasts run on the shorter cook time

then finish with the glaze over top after resting..

glaze: 1 part honey
1/3 part hot sauce ( i used sweet chili, I've used siracha if you like it hotter, or basic franks for more tart)
1/3 Tbsp. red pepper flakes
alter ratios to your taste
mix in a bowl, microwave for 15-30 seconds.....drizzle over cross cut breasts

Food Bottle Liquid Sink Fluid

Food Tableware Sink Plate Recipe

start to finished eating....under 15 mins

(rest of the wood ducks were simmered into stock - duck stock is great)

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Time is coming bluedog, you got any birds on your place this year?
Unfortunately no. The beaver dam (on my neighbor's) that created the beaver marsh on my place is no more. They took the dam down because it was flooding some of their land that they wanted to use. Go figure. LOL The plus side is prior to the beaver marsh developing, that creek bottom was awesome rabbit habitat and now it has become awesome rabbit habitat once again. I do miss the ducks though.

But (always a but right?) sometimes the back of one of our crop field floods when it snows heavy and then melts. Last year we had a ton of mallards come through in late season. So perhaps we will get to enjoy that again in the future.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately no. The beaver dam (on my neighbor's) that created the beaver marsh on my place is no more. They took the dam down because it was flooding some of their land that they wanted to use. Go figure. LOL The plus side is prior to the beaver marsh developing, that creek bottom was awesome rabbit habitat and now it has become awesome rabbit habitat once again. I do miss the ducks though.

But (always a but right?) sometimes the back of one of our crop field floods when it snows heavy and then melts. Last year we had a ton of mallards come through in late season. So perhaps we will get to enjoy that again in the future.
sounds like you win either way....Rabbits for the Beagles and the occasion field Mallard...enjoy your season, I always enjoy the write ups!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts