Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i live on the wrong side of columbus apparently when it comes to public land... the West side... The closest (worth while) places are Alum Creek and Delaware WA. I am interested in hunting both. Being that i am new to OH as of Feb, i was just wondering if these two state park/public hunting lands were very pressured? Any insight on these areas would be much appreciated. I am not too big on walking up on anyone, nor am i a fan of getting walked up on while hunting... Just looking for a few opinions on the hunting pressure in those areas...

Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
You may want to check out Deer Creek, South of Columbus. If offers pretty good early season bow hunting if you spend some time scouting. Most people don't venture far from the parking areas. If you do a little walking you should be alone in the early season. It consist of a good amount of ag fields and crp fields that are rotated on a yearly basis.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Delaware gets hunted pretty hard but typically not until around gun season. early on when its still hotter out if you look around you can find a place fairly easily. Ive hunted pheasant and rabbits there never deer but may check the horseshoe road area. can also take cole road off of horseshoe and find some nice places too. ive seen big deer there before when fishing or whatever.

I would stay clear during gun season though. Couldnt pay me to go there. Idiots, I mean people everywhere.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I'm a now only guy really. Partly bc I don't own a muzzleloader or slug gun but mostly bc I love bow hunting. I heard that there are some bow only areas... Does anyone know about those?
Actually, now that I think about it, it seems like everywhere is less crowded in the early bow season... Aren't there a lot of bow hunters in oh? I thought that bow season would be busy in the woods.

·
Registered
68 Posts
the only bow only location that I know of on the two is delaware state park. you'll have to contact the park office to get the details and file for a permit. alum creek offers some excellent bow hunting opportunities with very low hunting pressure if you get north of state route 36. look at the howar road and hogback road areas.
NetFront/3.5.1 (BREW 5.0.1.2; U; en-us; LG; NetFront/3.5.1/AMB) Sprint LN510 MMP/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have seen some realy nice bucks In the bow only area in Delaware state park.you have to walk back pretty good up close to the campground...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
316 Posts
Try deleware wildlife area on the pheasant opener. Get in before daylight, and find some escape routes, you will see plenty of deer then, thats a good option for that on particular day

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
In my experience there I won't go back...its just way to small and millions of people 20min.away. that equals lots of pressure. I have heard from one guy that hunted there that he seen all kinds of deer on the archery only area during gun season ...that the deer swam the river from the area where the gunners was to safety in the archery o:Dnly area...theres lots of great hunting to the south About 60 miles away...and very lil pressure during archery season...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try deleware wildlife area on the pheasant opener. Get in before daylight, and find some escape routes, you will see plenty of deer then, thats a good option for that on particular day
Definitely some good advice! Im sure the hunters push up a lot of deer.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the only bow only location that I know of on the two is delaware state park. you'll have to contact the park office to get the details and file for a permit. alum creek offers some excellent bow hunting opportunities with very low hunting pressure if you get north of state route 36. look at the howar road and hogback road areas.
NetFront/3.5.1 (BREW 5.0.1.2; U; en-us; LG; NetFront/3.5.1/AMB) Sprint LN510 MMP/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1
I've heard that Alum is really good. The director of fish and game for alum and delaware said that a 160" was taken on alum last year!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've seen some nice deer in there and really not alot of pressure during bow season. gun and muzzy season are a different story.

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts
If you are on the west side, then you may also look into the Big Darby Creek Metro Park. It has some public hunting land. Just google it and you can find the maps that show where the public hunting is allowed.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I would say both r okay. Alum has seen a lot of pressure in recent years. These areas r so close to everyone in Columbus that its popular .

·
Super Moderator
1,501 Posts
If you are on the west side, then you may also look into the Big Darby Creek Metro Park. It has some public hunting land. Just google it and you can find the maps that show where the public hunting is allowed.
:yeahthat:

I have squirrel hunted this and seen alot of deer sign. I had a friend years ago that did very good at this park. Scout, Scout, Scout!!! ...good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
:yeahthat:

I have squirrel hunted this and seen alot of deer sign. I had a friend years ago that did very good at this park. Scout, Scout, Scout!!! ...good luck!
This why I do NOT hunt Darby Creek. I have seen tons of squirrel hunters out there at a time. Will spoil any bow hunt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts