Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you guys allow friends/other people to hunt your land, do you have rules in place?

Certain deer they can or cannot shoot?
Stands they can use or not?
Areas?
Scouting?

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
i respect landowners,even relatives...my rule is you dont hunt unless i'm there...i care less what you shoot or where you hunt as long as youre not right next to me...the last guy i took to a relatives i placed a couple hundred yds. from me on a trail a nice 130 was using...perfect 10...i got his matched sheds as an 8...i,ve turned it down several times as a 10 and once as an 8...i turned it down again that morning and within a few minutes...the guy i took with me had his chance at his first p$yer...and missed low...
all i ask is respect the land and the law ...me and the landowner...:D

·
Registered
343 Posts
When I am fortunate enough to hunt private land I respect the land owners. With that said I look to take a doe first. I will let a big buck walk unless otherwise told to take anything.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Banned
955 Posts
If you guys allow friends/other people to hunt your land, do you have rules in place?

Areas?
Scouting?
If I invite a friend and he/she has never shot a deer before I let them shoot whatever they want, doe, spike, etc. If they are no rookie...I have a rule for bucks.......if you're not going to mount it don't shoot it. I try to pass all 1.5-2.5 year old bucks. If they have a hard time judging I tell them to look at the spread of the deer. If the rack is outide the ears, that usually indicates a 3.5+ deer. Most two year olds that I have seen around me will have basket racks inside the ears. I have seen some older deer that are tall and not wide.....but they can easily identifiable. Showing friends and family members pics of deer also help to show them ones to pass and ones to shoot.

As far as stands........sometimes I will let them use my best stands. Especially if I have shot my buck already.

Scouting? No, I scout. If they want to tag along fine, but I don't just let people go on there and walk around.

Most of the time I will bring friends/other family members during gun seasons. I try to save from halloween through Nov 15 for me:biggrin:

And as **** said.......they only hunt when I go. I don't write out permission slips for year round hunting. My neighbor who owns 80 acres across from me has permisison to hunt my place since he helps me out with my food plots and allows me to use some of his equipment. He rarely hunts it as he has his own place, but other than that by invite only. In the 8-10 years he has lived there he has only hunted my place 2-3x.......I give him that option since he does help me.

·
Ohio Sportsman
1,991 Posts
Yes, I allow family, friends, co-workers to hunt. Preferably, those hunters looking for their FIRST deer or turkey harvest. Hence the name, First Harvest Farm.
There are more opportunities once I've put another wall-hanger down. :D
There are rules that apply with this privilege.
- As Coonskinner stated, RESPECT Me, the Farm, the Animal and the LAW!
- My treestands only.
- My invitation.
- No restrictions. However, those that have killed bucks I try to encourage them to let the young ones walk.
-An unrecovered deer is a dead deer to me....:tsk: Tag filled!
- One deer per invited hunter regardless of size.
- Litter and you're done...:tsk::tsk: Pet peeve!
- Most important, ENJOY THE HUNT.
In the end, a kind THANK YOU goes a loooooong waaaaaay!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Yes, I allow family, friends, co-workers to hunt. Preferably, those hunters looking for their FIRST deer or turkey harvest. Hence the name, First Harvest Farm.
- My treestands only.
- My invitation.
- No restrictions. However, those that have killed bucks I try to encourage them to let the young ones walk.
Both good points.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

Areas?
Scouting?
I just wish a friend would allow me to hunt his places:mischeif::mischeif:
- My treestands only.
- My invitation.
What about going potty in the wood,any rules on that?Seem as soon as I get in a thicket,I gotta drop a monster deuce...:D

·
Registered
679 Posts

Areas?
Scouting?
Yep.
If an experienced hunter, 150" buck only...no does. Neighbors take a lot of does, and trying to keep my place as somewhat of a sanctuary. Believe the best buck bait is a calm doe. 150" buck seems a bit extreme, but we all know a 130-140" deer looks like a 150"+ when it is standing in front of you. I've made that mistake several times.

Kids can take whatever they want. Buck, doe...big or small. But, I put them somewhere I know they are going to see deer, but still keep them out of the "sanctuary" areas. No one, me included, goes there. Better for all that hunt the property.

·
Banned
955 Posts
Yep.
If an experienced hunter, 150" buck only...no does. Neighbors take a lot of does, and trying to keep my place as somewhat of a sanctuary. Believe the best buck bait is a calm doe. 150" buck seems a bit extreme, but we all know a 130-140" deer looks like a 150"+ when it is standing in front of you. I've made that mistake several times.

Kids can take whatever they want. Buck, doe...big or small. But, I put them somewhere I know they are going to see deer, but still keep them out of the "sanctuary" areas. No one, me included, goes there. Better for all that hunt the property.

Sanctuaries.........the single best thing you can have on small hunting properties.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a "Hit List of bucks from the trail cameras. You are welcome to take other bucks but they have to be of the quality that they would have made the list.

Hunters that have never killed a deer can take any legal deer. More concerned with hooking someone on the sport then protecting any particular deer.

I have a certain ratio of bucks to does I like to take off my property each year. Anyone not willing to kill an occassional doe to help me obtain my management objectives runs the risk of losing their spot on the bus.

Stay out of the sanctuary.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Sanctuaries.........the single best thing you can have on small hunting properties.
Agreed. Obviously, a good idea during bow season, but gun season seems to provide even more proof.

·
Banned
955 Posts
Agreed. Obviously, a good idea during bow season, but gun season seems to provide even more proof.

Sanctuaries are not necessary on larger properties (IMO 500 acres and more) as it is very tough to hunt it all, especially if it is all cover (wooded). You can still have them, but just the sheer amount of space the deer will develop their own if the cover is there (obviously this won't work if you're hunting 500 acres and only 100 of it is cover).

However, that is not the case on smaller properties (less than 500 acres) which we are all pretty familiar with. It's a good idea set the core (middle) of your property as a santuary (off limits to ALL human activity). No hunting, no scouting, nothing. Stay out. IMO, this is far more important than food plots. If you're hunting 100 acres of woods, I would set 15-20 acres of the middle as a no hunt zone. You'd be surprised how many deer a small 15+ acre section can hold if you stay out of it.

I feel it is not only important during gun season, but bow season as well. Most of the mature bucks I see come from out of my sanctuary which sits in the middle of my place down in a thick creek bottom. I have stand location set between the sanctuary and food (plots).

Also on smaller properties it's a good idea to try and hunt the perimeter of the property. This allows most of the property to be undisturbed and gives you even more sanctuary areas. During bow season, especially the prerut/rut, I will be more aggressive if I have to and push deeper in. However, during gun season, the last thing I want to do is push a shooter off my place onto my neighbors. Therefore, during gun season, I only hunt the perimeters and allow my neighbors to push deer to me. Some of my gun stands are not over 100 yards off the county road. If I do shoot a deer and put a good shot on it, I'm not tracking it all over the property pushing deer to others.

If you have not established sancts on your hunting property you should consider it. Obviously if you share the property with others it's tough to get them on the same boat. But if you lease or own or have soul permission, it's a good idea. If possible mark it just like you would post the perimeter of your property. I have my sanctuary marked every 50 yards to not only give me a visual, but also guests that hunt with me.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts

Areas?
Scouting?
Huntin is a family thing with my family. All the guys atleast. We only kill mature deer unless the freezerz empty

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Ohio Sportsman
1,991 Posts

What about going potty in the wood,any rules on that?Seem as soon as I get in a thicket,I gotta drop a monster deuce...:D
Ha ha. A booner deuce huh? Lol :D No rules when mother nature calls.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I own 2 tracts of land. 43 acres in PA and 104 acres in Ohio. I allow 2 close friends who help me any time I need it to hunt the 43 acres. They can shoot whatever their heart desires. I am selfish with Ohio land and only myself and my neighbor in Ohio hunt the property. He has helped me considerably and earned the right to hunt.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts

Aint nobody gonna keep me from droppin a load when mother nature calls

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Two tips to prevent such a catastrophe -

No coffee prior to the trip.
No smokes prior to the trip.

Didn't your mom ever teach you to go before you left the house?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts

You can go before you leave the house but mother nature dont always play fare

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

Well when you do all day sits like REAL MEN,ya gotta dump the poo poo platter sometimes..I pack a roll of TP everywhere..The truck,van,tackle box etc etc...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts