Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
624 Posts
This could have easily been a loss of power, an unexpected and severe downdraft, or some other malfunction out of the control of the pilots. Don't let one video without explanation lead you to a wrong conclusion.

Flying small aircraft at the high altitudes found in Afghanistan presents lots of dangers that cannot be avoided in every instance.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
The true miracle is that someone figured out how to get a helicopter to fly in the first place. All those moving parts going in so many different directions!

·
Banned
487 Posts
This could have easily been a loss of power, an unexpected and severe downdraft, or some other malfunction out of the control of the pilots. Don't let one video without explanation lead you to a wrong conclusion.

Flying small aircraft at the high altitudes found in Afghanistan presents lots of dangers that cannot be avoided in every instance.
I would first guess a density altitude mis-calculation.
There are several crashes like this on youtube at airshows.
At higher altitudes there is generally less lift. Especially for stunts.

Basically;
Air density is affected by the air pressure, temperature and humidity. The density of the air is reduced by decreased air pressure, increased temperatures and increased moisture. A reduction in air density reduces engine horsepower, reduces aerodynamic lift and reduces drag.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would first guess a density altitude mis-calculation.
There are several crashes like this on youtube at airshows.
At higher altitudes there is generally less lift. Especially for stunts.

Basically;
Air density is affected by the air pressure, temperature and humidity. The density of the air is reduced by decreased air pressure, increased temperatures and increased moisture. A reduction in air density reduces engine horsepower, reduces aerodynamic lift and reduces drag.
It's hard to say for sure what caused it. In a lot of the comments below the video, there seems to be several pilots commenting that feel it was pilot error. I wonder if they will ever release the final investigative results.

·
Banned
624 Posts
It's hard to say for sure what caused it. In a lot of the comments below the video, there seems to be several pilots commenting that feel it was pilot error. I wonder if they will ever release the final investigative results.
In the Army, if you break one of their toys by not taking "density altitude" into close enough importance, they call it "pilot error". Basically, anything that goes wrong that isn't mechanical is always considered "pilot error".

BTW: helicopters really don't fly... the pilot simply beats the air into submission.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts