Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys,I have recently became interested in the public land in Adams County, I actually have family owned land in Adams County, but it is heavily hunted with alot of poaching going on.....so basically my questions are these?Brush Creek Public Hunting AreaIs this are overhunted?Are the deer abundant?Many trophy deer?Tranquility Wildlife AreaIs it overhunted?Deer population?Trophy potential?Shawnee ForestThis is a large hunk of land from what I readIs it also overhunted?Deer density/populations?Trophy potential?Here where I actually reside in East Tennessee deer are very scarce, and any public land we have is overhunted, so these are my questions, any answers? Also I am mainly a bowhunter when i go out of state, just another guy chasing the dream... thanks guys

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I've hunted tranquility and there is deer to be had in there but you have to work for them or get lucky like the kid that killed the double drop tine 180" monster.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Ok guys,I have recently became interested in the public land in Adams County, I actually have family owned land in Adams County, but it is heavily hunted with alot of poaching going on.....so basically my questions are these?Brush Creek Public Hunting AreaIs this are overhunted?Are the deer abundant?Many trophy deer?Tranquility Wildlife AreaIs it overhunted?Deer population?Trophy potential?Shawnee ForestThis is a large hunk of land from what I readIs it also overhunted?Deer density/populations?Trophy potential?Here where I actually reside in East Tennessee deer are very scarce, and any public land we have is overhunted, so these are my questions, any answers? Also I am mainly a bowhunter when i go out of state, just another guy chasing the dream... thanks guys
All those are fine for bowhunting; some easier than others, but all hold ample deer.
I'd probably hunt Brush Creek a lot more if it was just down the road.
The thing about Adams co is most of the locals have private property to hunt sos most of the traffic is folks from Cincy.
All have trophy potential, as does every county in Ohio (well most). It's Ohio, anything can be expected.
I don't feel any of them are over hunted at least not thst I've seen.
The last I spoke to a WO out there he said densities were 30-40 psm. I told him I thought he was wrong, we disagreed.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well what I am saying are the chances of being in on good action higher or lower? and do these areas usually have 5 guys hunting 4,000 acres or 400 guys hunting it, here in the appalachain mountains of Tennessee, we find a little sign and might have to hunt 2 weeks before we see a deer in a place....so how is the pressure and population mainly? and you do think Brush Creek would be the best? Tranquility? I appreciate you guys that are coming forward, i really do

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
well what I am saying are the chances of being in on good action higher or lower? and do these areas usually have 5 guys hunting 4,000 acres or 400 guys hunting it, here in the appalachain mountains of Tennessee, we find a little sign and might have to hunt 2 weeks before we see a deer in a place....so how is the pressure and population mainly? and you do think Brush Creek would be the best? Tranquility? I appreciate you guys that are coming forward, i really do
Where are you in e.tn?
I've only hunted tranquility a few times, but saw no one and plenty of deer. Hunted Brush Creek a couple times and saw folks, but not as many deer.
Not sayin Brush Creek is the best, but it's easier than Shawnee. Seen one of the biggest deer I've ever seen there. Heard it got shot a few years ago.
The pressure isn't bad on all areas until gun or the early ML for Shawnee, then things change.
I'd honestly say for ease of hunt and deer densities-Tranquility, Brush Creek and then Shawnee. Pressure would be them in reverse.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Greeneville,TN.....I'm not far off the Tennessee/North Carolina state line. alot of bears, and best in the state for turkey hunting overall, but deer populations suck.....so tranquility it is....I do have private land that I have hunted in Adams for several years now, but the tresspassers and poachers have just about wiped them out i do believe, very depressing....

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
If you do the footwork and scouting your going to find the deer densities that you are looking for. Enough time and you will find a trophy also. Ohio is wonderful in the sense that the state as a whole gives everyone a chance at a trophy on private or public. Just put the shoe leather in and you will be rewarded. Don't get discouraged when you go to tranquility and don't see the deer you want. They are there. I found a honey hole way deep in that was shredded with buck sign. Put a camera up and it was covered with deer. You will find them.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Greeneville,TN.....I'm not far off the Tennessee/North Carolina state line. alot of bears, and best in the state for turkey hunting overall, but deer populations suck.....so tranquility it is....I do have private land that I have hunted in Adams for several years now, but the tresspassers and poachers have just about wiped them out i do believe, very depressing....
I agree with edensjr. Put your work in, hunt hard and you'll be successful.
Where's your private? I think you said West Union or Manchester, but I forget.
You'll be happy with Tranquility.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Kind of fgured the hunting was heavy down there, that's one reason I haven't invested the time. The other reason and more disturbing is around Portsmouth is the largest pill mills in the state. Huge perscirption drug problem round there.

Funny I should red this today, was told I'd be getting a call (about something unrelated to hunting) from someone who owns a cabin around Shawnee. Supposedly hunts down there. I've had a place picked out in there to hunt for years.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Kind of fgured the hunting was heavy down there, that's one reason I haven't invested the time. The other reason and more disturbing is around Portsmouth is the largest pill mills in the state. Huge perscirption drug problem round there.

Funny I should red this today, was told I'd be getting a call (about something unrelated to hunting) from someone who owns a cabin around Shawnee. Supposedly hunts down there. I've had a place picked out in there to hunt for years.
Eh, Portsmouth does have a problem, but mostly it stays in Portsmouth.
I've got a cabin down there and I've never had a problem (knocking on wood). I know a lot of the locals and some do pills, but for the most part their good people. Now, I don't let the pillbillies know where my cabin is, but we speak.
Where's this place you've had picked out?

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I've traveled to that area, Portsmouth, and didn't have any sign of a problem. The woods around there is quite dense. The deer are in there but you will need to hunt them/work to get one. Nothing in Shawnee is easy but it can be rewarding if you put in the time. Zaleski is very good as well, if you know where to hunt. I would say Shawnee would be on the top of the list on hard places to hunt as Jericho said.

RGJZ06

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
my private land is in Manchester Jericho, been in the family for many decades
Home of NASCAR's, Cat in the Hat, Roush.

RGJZ06

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you do the footwork and scouting your going to find the deer densities that you are looking for. Enough time and you will find a trophy also. Ohio is wonderful in the sense that the state as a whole gives everyone a chance at a trophy on private or public. Just put the shoe leather in and you will be rewarded. Don't get discouraged when you go to tranquility and don't see the deer you want. They are there. I found a honey hole way deep in that was shredded with buck sign. Put a camera up and it was covered with deer. You will find them.
Nice post and hard to disagree with it since the randomness of the trophy deer show up in every county year in and year out.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I own property about 5 miles from tranquility. I haven't hunted there yet b/c I've only owned the land for just a year now. I will make it there. Anyone else have any experience at tranquility? Best spots? :idea:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts