Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read through this in another forum, thought it was very similar to what people discuss on these Ohio forums when a person/people do not want to give away their special fishing holes.

Secret Spots

I just thought it was nice to see other opinions on the topic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is there a difference in commercial, charter 'secrets' and between a couple of amatuers that share the same waters?
Obviously the consensus is that if you find a spot in the middle of the ocean and bring clients there for income, there should be a signed agreement that GPS is not allowed. For all the captain knows, you're selling or sharing info with his competition or allowing others to put pressure on the spot he paid for dearly.

On the other hand, would you share with strangers, the secrets that you or your friends paid dearly to discover? Even if the body of water is many miles long and over 100' deep, you can't assume that the 'word' won't spread as to exact locations and lures. Fish are said to be in only 15% of a lake's area. Those areas may only be in a few locations, but with half or more, pressured by locals.

When it comes to fishing, few of the best local anglers share info except with persons who have an equal amount or valid info to share and that can be trusted not to blab all over the place.

If someone follows my boat as I'm catching fish, I scoot out of there and answer no questions. If that person wants to know more of what, where and how to catch fish, let him join a local club and pay his dues like I did. I may be very selfish, but experience tells me that anglers are selfish and that some are very irresponsible when it comes to gifts.

I'll discuss general info anytime, with anyone, over a few beers, but don't ask me where my spots are!

Frank M

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
I feel that secret spots are just that. I like to share secrets that you learn to catch the fish and things of that nature. But sharing where you fish doesn't matter to me. As long as my fellow fisherman are catching fish, so be it. Or just keep your mouth shut and go yourself. From past people guarding their spots, I have seen threats and things done to guard a secret spot. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
i have yet to give up the whereabouts of my catfeeshin hole,its a secret ...and there is a secret place,i guarantee will make some bark like a dog...

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
I bet it will. I have several places I go to , but if someone wanted to go. I would take them. I just like the company and enjoy when friend do catch fish also.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
See, and nobody got crazy....LOL;)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just thought it was interesting, we're not the only ones that have these sort of discussions.

I do, however, believe that if you worked and researched to find a great hole to fish in whether it be in a stream or the deep blue, it should be guarded. Even if you don't make money off of it, you still put the work in to find the fish.

:cool: :)

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
LOL...I see your point...LOL;)

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
They are all secret spots some are just better than others:D

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
True, Most of my spots are not secret, just people haven't come across them yet.:D ;)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hey Caribou Dreamer2 ..

Do I know you?? Do you know Jeff Harpst, Buck or Lucky? Just wondered, meet alot of guys on the water & even more when I make the brewskii rounds:eek: :rolleyes: :p

Ray :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
My secret salmon spot USE to be a nice place to fish. The regulars all knew each other, or at least recogized their face, and everyone was friendly If there were 5 people there or another person on your dock, it seemed crowded, but everyone got their lines out when someone called "fish on".

THEN someone started talking. More and more people started showing up, shining their 10 million candle power spotlights in your face, throwing their beer cans and cigarette butts in the lake, hooting and hollering, getting drunk and making &$$?$ out of themselves. And forget any etiquuette. "Fish On"...."FORGET YOU. I DROVE 4 HOURS TO GET HERE. I'M NOT TAKING MY LINE OUT OF THE WATER FOR ANYONE BUT MY FISH"

Nope, I'm not telling anyone where my secret salmon spot is, and if anyone asks, I bad mouth it as much as I can. Last fall was pretty bad, but I hear they got a late start because of the warm weather. Hopefully all those yahoos told their drunken friends to forget about fishing there, and they'll all go somewhere else with their other drunked snagging friends!

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Bob

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Not for sure Erie could be ,I hang out at the moose and i fish mainly around the game perserve(whoops secret spot).We probarly have met some where just dont know were i'm not good with names but remember faces really well.If not i will see you or meet you on the lake this summer either on the pontoon or in the carp buster 14' carp busting machine.I have fished in the bass pro shop tournament for the last two year spring and fall it a blast could of meet there.I took 3rd two years ago in the carp and 4th i think last year in the carp.Will be 1st this year though. good luck to you and hope to meet you on the water.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I agree with Desperado. Sometimes the "friend" on a fishing trip is what makes the trip memorable. The best "eye" fishing I had this year I was by myself and it wasn't near the fun as a 2 fish day with a friend. So to me it may be worth losing a "secret spot".

1 - 20 of 30 Posts