Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

A Mature Bucks Core Area?

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Siman08/OH 
#1 ·
Recently on my drive home from vacation (Hilton Head, 10 hour drive), I had a revelation in the wee morning hours when everyone else was asleep and it was just me and my thoughts.

Around the Athens area I started to feel like I was home, Nelsonville area I got even more comfortable and by Logan I was speeding a little more and roll stoping stop signs. I simply know the areas and started to feel more comfortable with doing stuff I wouldn't do in a strange town or away from home. And it got m to thinking if mature bucks did that?

I've always thought that your best chances of killing a certain mature buck is to know his core area and then to spend as much time in that area......BECAUSE HE WAS THERE THE MOST. And I'm sure thats a fair assessment. I mean a mature buck spends most of his life during legal shooting hours on his belly. And those brief periods when he gets up early you need to be next to his bedroom. But is their more to it?

I came to the conclusion that I bet they do get more careless in their core area. I'm guessing just like me, they get confident in an area and start cutting corners. Going against the wind occasionally and just taking safety for granted. I'm not sure how this revelation will be used to my advantage but just a thought that I wanted to share and get opinions on.

And since you all twisted my arm here is a picture from vacation.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yep, but don't forget he also notices any changes to those areas also......why are all these saplings cut, what's the strange smell, why is this area clear of twigs.....I'm out of here! But I do agree they are more comfortable in the home area until they detect things......so be real careful.

#6 ·
Great looking Family.

My experience is once you have a Buck established, leave and stay away until the right time. Big Bucks are slick hombres. But he will follow his trail pattern unless interrupted by too much interference. I like where public hunting borders private land. The trails on public land allow you to cover more ground in a quicker time.

Maxwell

#7 ·
where are a cops odds highest of catching you speeding? Where he has never tried to catch you before. No doubt not over hunting a spot is best if your after that one specific buck. cops sit in obvious spots and still hand out tickets. Especially during the holidays to out of towners. I used to know a few spots on public land that got hunted hard all season but a couple days a season bucks would poor through nose down looking like they haven't slept in days. I'll take a spot like that over trying to pick off one specific deer any day. I hunt a lot of private land too but it's not low pressure enough to target one deer, too many cops out there lol never know when that will change and a buck will show and stick to his pattern.

#8 ·
I guess I see it a little different. I believe they are more cautious in and around their core area. Im sure there are a few days here and there at the beginning of the rut when they stay out a little to late and try to rush back to bed. I believe if mature bucks were easier to kill around their beds that you would see more kills in October. I completely understand your thoughts, but the deer brain is different than a human. Our logic changes day to day depending upon our mood. A deers logic is the same every minute of every day (outside of the breeding season). That is survival.

#9 ·
The whole "most crashes happen within 5 miles of the home" thing is HUGE to this way of thinking.

I do believe that bucks can become careless at home. I cant back this up with much success from my treestand, but i can with my extensive trail camera use over the last decade.

For example, my #1 hitlist buck has a known "core" area where he will, from time to time, get up and feed mid-day. Even during archery season. Now in years past i could guarantee he would feed at night 5 to 7 days a week in the same place (pretty good indication that he lives close).

Ive also had people get him on trail cam over a mile away for a week or so at a time (he roams, just like you were on vacation for a little bit of time.

Search the QDMA website on the research they have done with collard bucks. Its pretty eye opening. They have a core range, a "rut range", and a few places they "vacation" to once or twice a year for small amounts of time (usually for late winter and summer feeding).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.