Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thankfully, I scheduled my family vacation long ago. Otherwise, my current schedule would've never allowed it. I had a great time prowling the beach with my 8wt. as usual, the tarpon rolled, mostly well out of range of my casts, but near enough to continue to stoke the dream of someday pursuing them.

My inexperience really showed on this trip. Although i planned on getting after snook, I was unprepared and not convinced I would find them. Last year, there were virtually none. I should've known things were different when on my first morning out, I hooked and promptly broke one off. Snook have something sharp on their head that requires a bite tippet. i didn't have one and the 10lb floro got sawed off on the first roll. For most of the rest of the trip, I used a 20lb bite tippet, but still couldn't land a snook. I had a few on, and lost two right at the beach, but nothing to show for it. On my last afternoon, I went looking for snook (on a section of beach I should have been fishing all along) and found them. They were steadily in sight, I got lots of follows and a few short strikes, but nothing to commit. They are a fun fish to chase though.

I ended up catching lots of fish. Mostly ladyfish, however, I did get a few spanish mackeral, a couple little jacks and my first sea trout. On one morning a wading bird took up position behind me. i didn't even realize it was there until it let out a "squawk". It must've been there a half an hour more as I caught and released a couple fish. Finally, I rewarded it, by tossing a small ladyfish its way. Anyone (or thing) that can watch me cast for that long deserves something for the time.

My trout

A jack

A spanish mackeral- with their teeth, one fish pretty well destroys a fly

Ladyfish that met an untimely end, with its executioner

·
Premium Member
7,369 Posts
Very nice! At least you got on some fish. I am heading to NC in July, hopefully I can find something to tug on the line. Nice pics and report! What beach did you visit? Somewhere in Florida, I assume?

·
Administrator
5,398 Posts
Nice pictures, thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
That's cool. I'm hoping to get a to take a whack at the salt later this year again, unsure on timing though. It's been a complicated spring.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The saltwater fishing is fun. The fish fput up a a great fight. It would've been nice to get a picture with a snook, but on a couple I got to experience everything short of that. The trout put up the least fight.

We have been going to N. Captiva Island in southwest Fl, off the coast from Ft. Myers. The island is just a few miles south of the renowned tarpon destination, Boca Grande pass. I probably saw about 100 tarpon. As I said, most were way off shore though. There are supposed to be lots of sharks around although I didn't see any.

I caught all the fish on some sort of a clouser pattern. I did catch several on my own ties. If I get a chance to go again at that time of year, I'm going to tie a clouser on a long shank hook to see if I can turn some of those short takes into hook ups. On the sunsoaked, white sand beaches, the fish love white and flash.

Good luck out there

1 - 6 of 6 Posts