Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished up a batch of flies last night, almost looks like I had a hatch right on my desk!

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I tied them for Isonychia's they're just a shade lighter than the naturals but I can get away with them for that or a brown drake. I tied a few more of them for myself but these are actually another batch of flies headed up to Grayling, along with these. :)

·
Premium Member
7,369 Posts
Bench time is rare for you these days, isn't it? Flies look great! :thumbs_up:

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It feels REALLY great to finally get more time to do stuff again, even if it's just carving out an hour a night before I go to bed! Should even be able to actually start fishing a little bit more in the next couple weeks!

Between the two pics there's 21 doz. flies. I can knock out the ones in the boxes at about 4 min. each and the others are about 6 min. Not going to get rich fly tying but it's something I like to do and and can make a little something at it to boot.

Of course the government get it's share of it with the excise tax...

·
Administrator
5,398 Posts
Given the amount of time it takes me to tie a fly, I would make less than a dollar an hour :)

Sent from my DROIDX using OutHub

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
They look great Lance. Now I'm even more anxious to get up there and fish. Maybe another month until the Kings are in the PM. I need to get out there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is there a cure?

I just started Fly Fishing, and I was wondering if there is a cure for this addiction? I am completely addicted. I was wondering if anyone can suggest some nice places to fish in Southwest Ohio? I have been to the Great Miami with some Clouser minnows, and caught some White Bass.

Mole

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope, you're pretty well doomed at this point! :D

Not real familiar with southwest ohio at this point so I can't offer too much help for you there.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
I have good luck with clousers pretty much wherever I fish them. I strip them in both ponds and rivers and float them under indicators in rivers or swing them. (I also strip them in the surf)

The clouser is my favorite style of streamer, but I do like woolies and zonkers too!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have good luck with clousers pretty much wherever I fish them. I strip them in both ponds and rivers and float them under indicators in rivers or swing them. (I also strip them in the surf)

The clouser is my favorite style of streamer, but I do like woolies and zonkers too!
GM, I know you can use an indicator with streamers, but I've never tried it. Do you get more strikes that way?

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
I really only use them under indicators for steel and they do well. When I'm using one with an indicator, I almost always put it in a tandem rig with an egg. I fish streamers for steel quite a bit. Using an indicator is a good way to get them to depth in a deeper, slower hole. Or at the very least to help get my egg down fast into a small area of deep water so I don't have to cast so far above the target area, I'm snagged in shallow water before I reach the depression I'm trying to search. If the current is right, I'll take the indicator off in that situation and bottom bounce, but if it's too slow, I feel like I can get really precise drifts at a very precise depth.

I know this hen came on a bugger drifted under an indicator in COLD water.

:bouncy: I really need to go fishing......

·
Registered
3 Posts
GM, I know you can use an indicator with streamers, but I've never tried it. Do you get more strikes that way?
I am still new and I cant decide if I want to use dry or wet flys. I really like the Clouser minnow, however I had a few snags and lost my clousers yesterday so i put a dry fly on and immediately a smallmouth took it. I thought I had the hook set properly but after a short run he escaped. Had to be one of the more exciting runs I have ever had. Fun stuff. I am fishing the Little Miami, any thoughts?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts