Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 82 & 1/2 year old Father got a nice tom yesterday. He had hunted this bird on our 60 acre farm in portage county for 4 years now. He shot him at 12 yards yesterday morning at 6:45 after it came in silently to his decoy & a real hen that was by his decoy. Last year he had it strutting in the field in front of him on the last day of season for 2 hours but it wouldn't come any closer than 50yards. He harvested a 21 lb bird on the first day last April. this gobbler had the biggest gizzard & heart I've seen to date when I helped him clean it yesterday. It weighed 20 1/2 lbs had a 10 1/2" beard & 1" spurs!! If anyone out there knows of an older turkey hunter that harvests a bird in Ohio this Spring please let me know. The picture & few words are posted on the Field & Stream website also.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
That is very VERY cool!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats to your dad!!!!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
My 82 & 1/2 year old Father got a nice tom yesterday. He had hunted this bird on our 60 acre farm in portage county for 4 years now. Last year he had it strutting in the field in front of him on the last day of season for 2 hours but it wouldn't come any closer than 50yards.
Congrats to dad. I hope to be there, do that when I am that old.

I have a Remington SP10. Came in to within 50 yards? Big mistake!:biggrin:

·
22,520 Posts
Very cool! :coolgleamA:

Post some pics here!!!

·
Administrator
5,398 Posts
Great story!

·
Registered
134 Posts
TOO cool please Lord let me be hunting at that age and having someone cool enough to take me...kudos to u both

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

1 - 14 of 14 Posts