Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this 8 month old pup about a week ago,and was wondering if hes too old to train on?He listens well and seems to have a good nose,ordered scents and all that to start trainin also who uses live to train? and is this done after you use scents? thanks josh!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
6 months is about the age to start so no in my opinion the pup isn't too old to start. Never trained with scents but used an older finished/straight dog or a wet **** in a "fight" rope bag. Presuming your going to **** hunt since its a bluetick?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah Iam def gonna try to get him to catch on and hunt em up.This is the first bluetick I have owned,my buddies also have blueticks but have used live ***** in traps.I believe ill start with scents and maybe a taik drag.

·
Registered
341 Posts
8 months old is about the right time to start a hound. I have had some start early and some I've started have been 15 months old or older. When it's ready to start it will be like a light switch goes off in his head and they will start to put it all together

I will show a pup a couple of caged **** and turn a couple loose for them. After that if I didn't have an old dog to hunt it with I would just walk hunt the pup. Right now is a good time to do that because the kitten **** are starting to get out and the berry's are starting to get ripe and then right after that the corn starts coming on. When the corn comes on just walk the dog around the edges of the cornfields and they will get after mr. ****.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hes got a great nose,mom n pop both hunted,I hope he catches on!!So should I start with a kiiten caged **** or scents ti get him adjusted?

·
Registered
341 Posts
It doesn't have to be a kitten. Any **** will work just mess with your pup while it's in the cage for a little bit but don't get discouraged if it don't do what you want to at first. Then hold the pup back and turn the **** loose but give it enough of a head start where your pup won't catch it and get ate up by it.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Treedog has some good advice..I'd use the real thing and can scents. All kinds of problems can start with bottled scents as they might not be real close to the real thing and you have to drag 'em. That means your scent is with that scent and that doesn't happen with the real thing. Be careful whatever you do with a real **** that the pup doesn't get whipped by one as that will ruin it.:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I am kind of in the same boat but i did read about using a live trap is a great way to simulate a hunt. I did read you could train as early as 4 months (for bird/ rabbit dogs) or is this to early in your guys opionion?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I started trainin my pup...short sessions,throw toys amd such...might have a problem...i will drag the toy while someone holds him back....hide the toy in a tree he trails it fine tress it but wont bark at all...any ideas?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what a difference a day makes!!After about an hour if workin with him hard today,finally got him to go nuts on the throw toy while it was tied in the tree...i think its time for a caged ****,any thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Definatley time for a cage ****. If hes 8 months or older he could be shown a cage **** at any time. Have fun with him and dont get frustrated if u have problems along the way. Putting time in them is more important than anything

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Definatley time for a cage ****. If hes 8 months or older he could be shown a cage **** at any time. Have fun with him and dont get frustrated if u have problems along the way. Putting time in them is more important than anything
Actually before 8 months you can have him around caged ****. Introduce em early as you can

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
341 Posts
Time to show him a ****. The kitten ***** are out really good now.
The more time in the woods the more he will learn. I never show a hound more than two or three caged ****. After they mess with a few in cage they know what they're after and will learn more actually hunting than pranking with them on a caged **** over and over. Took my 7 month old walker pup to the woods on Tuesday night for the first time and tree'd his first one alone.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
I wanna see a pic.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Great looking pup!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts