close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

50th Reunion

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by HunterGKS, Oct 12, 2017 at 1:45 PM.

1. This past Friday, 10/06/2017, I headed south to Aurora, IN for my 50th High School Reunion being held at the Dearborn Country Club. It was an easy 3 ½ hour drive to the Double Tree by Hilton Hotel where some of us stayed in Lawrenceburg. I decided to head to the Club early as I wasn’t 100% sure where it was. As I walked to the parking garage, I noticed someone taking pics of the river & decided to walk over & check out the view. It turns out that the pic taker was 1 of my classmates. We talked for about 15 minutes almost like we saw each other every day.

We got to the club & soon began catching up with the rest of or classmates. We were the 100th class to graduate, had 100 in our class with 49 attending the reunion. I thought that was a great turn out. We had folks from TX, MO, TN, FL, OH, & other states. Sadly, 18 have passed.

At 1 point, all Vets were asked to come to the front of the room where we were thanked for our service & were given a small American Flag as a token of appreciation. We also received a standing ovation from our classmates, their families, & the workers of the venue. No one that hasn't served has any idea how such a small gesture affects Vets & how honored it makes us feel.

Dinner consisted of green beans, smashed tators, bowtie mac & a cream sauce, chicken breasts & some kind of sauce, prime rib, & salad. It was all very tasty & I’m sure no one left hungry especially after the desert of devils food cupcakes & cake.

After dinner, they had a drawing for quite a few door prizes. I was sitting there talking when someone told me to go get my prize. I was the 1st 1 drawn & received a real nice framed print. There were 8 of us at the table & we all managed to get drawn for something.

We were always a hard partying bunch but everyone maintain a semblance of sanity. And, not to speak ill of any of my classmates but, I look like a model for Slim Fast if ya know what I’m sayin’.

It was a great evening catching up with a lot of friends & teammates. Some of us are already talking about a 70th BD party in 2 years.

This was the 1st trip for the new Lean Mean Red Machine & I was pretty pleased with the MPG. The best I saw was 22.8 & the whole trip was 21.9 using less than a full take for the whole 7 hour trip. The next trip is an 8 hour jaunt to NY & may be a better indicator.

The invite.

[​IMG]

The Program.

[​IMG]

The Class photo.

[​IMG]

We wuz framed…………FRAMED I TELL YOU!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The print I won.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 1:59 PM
  2. I know what you mean by talking with classmates as if time had stood still. Had our 45th last year. Very meaningful! Thanks to all for their service and you too, George!

HunterGKS likes this.

3. Our 50th is this weekend. That's the reason our friends from Florida are coming up and staying with us. The veteran's tribute was a nice touch at yours.

HunterGKS likes this.
  4. Enjoy yourself. Our class is spread all over the country & we can't get together as often as we'd like but once every 5 years or so isn't too bad.

I think there should be more recognition of Vets.

5. Oh, we'll enjoy ourselves. On another post (The Buzz) I explained that our friends from Florida have invited some of their relatives from Canada to visit with them while they're here at our place. A little unusual, to be sure, but perhaps we can recruit the Canadians into being designated drivers on the night of the reunion. Hmmm....