Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to lease a 45acre farm in Tuscarawus Co Ohio. It is a mix of hardwoods and fields. I live in NC and I would like to have a chance at a better than 130 buck.

Pp

·
Registered
139 Posts
Probably a better chance than NC, you have lil' deer down there
:).

·
Registered
139 Posts
Tusc is a good county in the last 9 years they've had the 2nd most in number of deer registered in buckeye big buck which is over 150 typical and 160 non-typical. They have a by county listing of trophy bucks in the regulations.

·
Registered
139 Posts
scratch that they are 3rd

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
scratch that they are 3rd
Its just hard to see land via google earth and sat photos. Land owner says a 168 was killed on his property in 2008. Just hate to invest and get to hunt it once a year and not have very good odds.

Any suggestions on making a good decision??

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
dang just a 130...if thats all why are you paying theyre free on public land...get out there and hunt a long week day til dark and you will prolly get that op...:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Tusc is a good county in the last 9 years they've had the 2nd most in number of deer registered in buckeye big buck which is over 150 typical and 160 non-typical. They have a by county listing of trophy bucks in the regulations.
They(Tuscawarus) are also in an area with alot of scorers. A good county non the less. I'm not even sure we have any registered scorers in my county

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Lease it hunt it one time then let me hunt it the rest of the time, I will send you trail cam pictures :)

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
dang just a 130...if thats all why are you paying theyre free on public land...get out there and hunt a long week day til dark and you will prolly get that op...:biggrin:
Agree,

RGJZ06

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Tusc is a good county in the last 9 years they've had the 2nd most in number of deer registered in buckeye big buck which is over 150 typical and 160 non-typical. They have a by county listing of trophy bucks in the regulations.[/QU Minimun score for Buckeye Big Bucks typicals is 140.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Registered
679 Posts
Its just hard to see land via google earth and sat photos. Land owner says a 168 was killed on his property in 2008. Just hate to invest and get to hunt it once a year and not have very good odds.

Any suggestions on making a good decision??
Most, if not all of Ohio has 130+ deer. And Tusc has them for sure. But, even here, they don't walk past you every day. And it appears that you will only be hunting it once. So the question is: "Are there 130+ deer that live on the property, or 130+ deer that at least frequent the property on a regular basis?"
So, ask the landowner for trail cam pics of the bucks on his property. If you are seeing multiple pics of the same 130+ class buck/s, then at least you know they are there.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
473 Posts
Easy for me to say as a landowner, but I'd second the public route. You'll be able to set up wherever you want, and not be locked in. A 200-300 acre lease I could see doing, but the small tracts are hit or miss, depending on a lot of variables. My 50 acre property has a little of everything on it, but it's still awful lonely when there's no deer using it on a particular day. And it's all too easy to over-hunt if that's the only property you have. The bruisers wise up quick. And if they are favoring a neighboring property or nocturnal, there isn't much you can do. Go public and you'll have more flexibility, especially if you're willing to walk a little. Plus, more money to spend on gear.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Easy for me to say as a landowner, but I'd second the public route. You'll be able to set up wherever you want, and not be locked in. A 200-300 acre lease I could see doing, but the small tracts are hit or miss, depending on a lot of variables. My 50 acre property has a little of everything on it, but it's still awful lonely when there's no deer using it on a particular day. And it's all too easy to over-hunt if that's the only property you have. The bruisers wise up quick. And if they are favoring a neighboring property or nocturnal, there isn't much you can do. Go public and you'll have more flexibility, especially if you're willing to walk a little. Plus, more money to spend on gear.
I agree 100% my private spots are small also and it can be hit and miss, I have 4 urban spots that all link together and have several cams out, its either loaded or empty, with occasional stragglers, it it worth the chance and money to hope you will see them the day you go?

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
very good post and very true...if a guy next to you has a large amount of land and is putting all his money into attracting deer or has a lot of money...thats where the deer will go...i know a guy in knox that has more acres in plots than most on this site has total acres...and he has deer running all over the place while the neighbors around him complain about low deer numbers and nuisance permits...:D

as for public...the only thang you lose is hunter control and baiting...deer wise the bucks will easily top 130 and there is as many as on private...actually you have access to more bucks because of all the land available to you...if you hunt the larger public areas ...if you hunt far from cities you will see less hunters.if you get out farther in the woods you will see less hunters...and in archery season youll see very little hunters...put all that together and it will be practically no hunters youll encounter...:biggrin:
gun season is different,there will be lots of hunters but most hunt the hillside from where they park their car...:biggrin:in gun season,other hunters is your friend...they move deer around,so its no big deal...:biggrin:why pay ?if you want control of hunters and if you want to bait or want a chance at a 200"buck and/or have someone do it all for you...
but for just the chance at a 130"deer...no way...you need to pay...:biggrin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts