Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently in the process of looking for a .410 single shot with a bull barrel. I want to scope it and use it specifically for slug hunting. I broke my neck in 2009, and I just cant handle the recoil of the 12 gauges anymore. I wouldn't mind a 20 gauge, but I would rather have a .410, since 95% of shots are within 50 yards anyhow.

I know people use them for deer, and alot of deer have been killed with them. What are your opinions on thier use and ballistic abilities? If you have one you may wanna sell off, let me know.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
20ga Heavy barrel H&R Ultra slug hunter..Or set up a revolver for deer(you wife will love me for that idea)

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I don't know that H&R makes a 410 with bull barelle but mossberg makes the 410 pump with short barelle and rifle sights check it out

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Super Moderator
3,037 Posts
I think I'd be looking for a used 20 ga auto if recoil was an issue. Muzzy would be another good choice. 410 will work though, my son killed his first with one last year.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an auto or two. I just want something to be my specific slugger, and be a real tack driver.

·
Super Moderator
3,037 Posts
I have an auto or two. I just want something to be my specific slugger, and be a real tack driver.

Well then...you are half way there.:D I bought a used 20 ga. Rem 1100 with a slug barrel had it drilled and tapped. It became my wife's dedicated deer gun. Ammo is much easier to find and MUCH cheaper than .410 ammo.

If you do go .410, I recommend the Brenneke silver slugs.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I bought an H & R .20ga last year for my kids to use, loved it so much I used it during gun myself. Oh yea, my 12 yr old skinny daughter with a portable tripod got a nice 8 pt at 70 yds. Practiced all summer and the kick was minimal enough for her to not flinch at all. Really,really heavy gun though. Recommend a tripod for sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I put together a .410 slug gun for my kids to hunt deer with. I did a lot of research before i chose the rossi single shot 22/.410 combo. They do make a slug barrel for the .410 but it is aftermarket and very expensive. The problem you run into with a .410 barrel is most are too thin to drill and tap so I remedied that by jb welding the scope rail to the barrel. I finished it off with a tasco red dot scope and now I jave a very accurate little deer gun. I will tell you from experience to not waste your time with anything under a 3" shell. I have killed several deer with a .410 and as far as I am concerned its a great little deer gun.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Marlin made a real sweet lever rifle in .410. It can be scoped. Just plug the mag to hold two shells and you are good. Can't comment on accuracy as every gun is an entity unto itself. They can be found on Gunbroker.

As for the power of a .410, it just is not there compared to anything else available. Yes, a good shot will kill deer but I don't use a gun that works when everything goes just right. I like a gun that works when everything goes wrong.

+1 on the Brenneke Silver.

If it was me and had to do it for your stated reasons, I would look at the Marlin.

Good luck in your quest. It is all a journey.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you remember the model number on the Marlin, Fred?

Are there any issues with using a 410/22 combo during deer season, because of the 22 barrel?

Black Dog Bowfishing Pro Staff

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
It is the Marlin 410 Lever Action. Google it for pics and specs. It is a nice gun.

As for the over under combo, you ask good questions. A call to Columbus would be best for that one. I don't know if just not having any ammo on your person for the rifle bbl is good enough.

www.smallboreshotgun.org/the-marlin-410-lever-action-shotgun-review/

(I own over 14 Marlins, so I have a big bias towards them.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts