Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the Ohio Sportsman. Been reading a lot about the 350 legend and watching youtube videos, being a deer slayer in Ohio. Before I invest in one, I want to be sure that I am following all the Ohio deer hunting laws of Ohio. According to the ODNR's deer hunting regs 2021 page 9, states when hunting deer in Ohio one can only use a straight walled cartridge with a bullet diameter greater then a .357. The 350 legend is only a .350 diameter bullet thus making it illegal to use to kill deer in Ohio. . Granted I'd use the 350 legend any day before the .357 pistol cartridge. In my mind the law is the law??? Because of its popularity why doesn't Ohio change the law?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Welcome to the site! You are good to go with the legend in Ohio. If you use the search feature, you will find many discussions about this that took place over the past couple of years.

Reactions: jethro

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
350 legend is a .357 diameter.
Point of clarification here - despite the truth the SAAMI bore and groove spec for the .350 Legend are .346”/.355”, which sure seems to match what we know of the 9mm to be a .355” bullet. However, the BORE spec and bullet spec are different things. The Legend has the same bore and groove spec as 357mag and 38special. While it may not be a rifle bore spec, it’s not a 9mm pistol bore spec either - it’s a “revolver” bore spec. Such it can utilize a great number of inexpensive revolver bullets. I think Winchester missed their mark when they developed the 350 Legend. It would be a great argument in court.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I doubt you will find many in Ohio that think Winchester missed the mark on the 350 legend. It’s a hugely popular round for Ohio deer hunters.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I doubt you will find many in Ohio that think Winchester missed the mark on the 350 legend. It’s a hugely popular round for Ohio deer hunters.
I am not disputing the impact and popularity of the 350L. I will take the 350L over the 357 cartridge any day of the week. But when I said Winchester missed the mark, by designing it for 0.355" bullets, but the ammo ads claim it is 0.357". We will not be sure of all of the details for some time to come. The factory did missed the Ohio 0.357" minimum diameter requirement early on and designed the round for 0.355", then noticed the 0.357" requirement in the Ohio hunting laws. They now created a smoke screen effort (claiming 0.357" when the ammo is actually 0.355") to try to get the guns to sell in Ohio and other targeted states. There doing a great job at it.

·
Registered
Hunting.
10 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
I also joined not long ago, and did so primarily because I was interested in the 350 Legend, since here in my home state of Pennsylvania they recently made lawful the use of straight walled rounds for deer hunting in our Special Regulation Areas.
My research was not only this forum, which has a wealth of information on the Legend, but other sources as well. Long story short, I bought one, even though I live and hunt in an area where any centerfire is allowed for deer. I had difficulty finding brass, primers, and bullets, but finally located enough to develope a load.

I purchased a Savage Axis, tried the Winchester 180 Gr offering, which shot a smidge over an inch @ 100yds, but settled on Hornady 170Gr Interlock, with 'Lil Gun powder, Hornady Brass, And WSR primers (CCI small rifle were interchangable) which dropped my group size to just under an inch, but without any fliers. I don't see the need to develope further, since the 350 is essentially a 200yd max range load.

Hope my review of my experience is helpful in you endeavor.

Reactions: jethro

·
Registered
948 Posts
1) Ohio wrote an executive letter for the allowance of the 350 Legend as a SWC. My local WO's son carries one in an AR so clearly it's legal.
2) Winchester nailed it with the 350 Legend on its performance on deer
3) As UncleMike said, do a search and you'll find a ton of info (feel free to PM me, I can share my experience. I've shared it enough on here I don't want to recap)

SWOH

1 - 11 of 11 Posts