Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

350 legend grouping issues

7K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  REDARROW7 
#1 ·
I built an AR in 350 legend. I put 117 rounds of factory Winchester 145 grain FMJ downrange to play around a bit to see what it could do. Group's varied in size from 1.5" to 8" @100yds. I was genuinely perplexed by the 30th round I actually switched optics thinking maybe my scopes zero was walking. Then again I switched. Same results. (I know the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over expecting different results) I grabbed a box of the Winchester 180 grain power points and consistently stacked 1.5" groups with those. My brother in-law loaded 3 rounds of the same 145 grain in his savage. Linear 6" group and stacked it tight on paper with the 180 gr. Has anyone else had the 145 gr. Fmj target ammo perform or lack in performance like this?

Reactions: Randall
#3 ·
I'm still waiting on all the planets to align perfectly before I go out and test some ammo... Last weekend was the nicest day for it... There was very little breeze, but I didn't have time to go out... Headed down near the Ohio River on the Muskingum to do some Blue cat fishing this weekend... I'll get out sooner or later... I'm sure I'm glad to see all the positive feedback from the 350 Legend though:)

#4 ·
My NWTF chapter raffled an HM Defense AR in 350 Legend last year and one of the company's owners told me to pass on to the winner that the rifle doesn't like lighter bullets...said to shoot 175g and heavier.

#6 ·
The Hornady 170 through a Ruger American with the 22 inch barrel is shooting pretty good for me. I have not tested enough, nor at longer range enough. But it has already proven plenty accurate for hunting.

I also inadvertently did a cement block test! I had a block propping up a handgun target for my wife. I didn't think about it & at about 30 yards I pulled up and shot her bottle target with the 350 legend. The entire target fell over and a huge cloud of gray dust flew into the air. It went through the bottle target, a 1/4 piece of particle board, the cement block long ways and buried into the dirt backstop. The brick was in several small pieces. I could not locate it to dig out. I would rarely shoot a deer at more than 100 yards anywhere I hunt. It is certainly going to have plenty of shock for whitetail at those ranges.

#11 ·
Seems like the heavier grain the more stable they fly. Guess I'll stick with the heavier grain even if it costs more. ‍♂ Thanks all for your input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.