Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read on-line that the 3 blades fixed BH are more accurate out of a xbow due to the fact on a bolt there are three vanes. I currently shoto a 4 blade slick trick. I get decent groups out to about 30 yards, but after that it can vary. I am thinking about testing some montec and muzzy 3 blades to see how they group. Thoughts?

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
i canned 4 blades somewhere in the very late sixties or very early seventies...i went to 3 blade then to single blade and back to 3 blade...i seem to think 3 blade is the most accurate with single blade penetrating better but lil ole a windplaner...:D

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
I have shot crossbows for 20 years and was stuck on 3 blades. I would aline the blades with the vains, tune them and they were accurate. With my older crossbows the 4 blades didnt shoot for crap. Last year I got a horton summit 175 and tried the 4 blade 125 grizz trick. They shoot just like my field point out to 40 yards. Give the 3 blades a try . They may very well fly better for you. Good luck.

·
Banned
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I picked me up some motec g5's and headed to the range. I have two parker buck busters, one shooting 315 and another at 325. Both bows groups the montecs GREAT! The first bow (315fps) I didn't have to do much to.....I matched the fletchings with the blades and let her rip and at 25 yards I was getting 1" groups. At 35-40 yards I was getting 2-2.5" groups. The 325fps bow started off way high, BUT it was consistent. At 25 yards I was about 8" high but my groups were touching. I moved it down and at 30 yards I actually split a bolt into. At 35 yards I was getting 2" groups or less.

Although I have nothing bad to say about the slick tricks, the montec g5's group better and I will be switching over to them before season. I don't know if it had anything to do with the 3 vs 4 blade, but I did take the time to line them up by using a small o-ring. The o-ring allowed me to tighten them down that extra bit to where they matched up.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
YEA , I used the O rings, I'm glad it worked out for you. Hope to see you post up a nuce buck later this year.
I pick out a different dot for each shot so I dont split bolts. They are not cheap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts