Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
With the amount of racoons around. The turkey population is taking a beating. Way to many nest predators. On a side note. The rabbies vaccine program is working great. At least in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I see it as a change that's gonna have a minimal impact on the overall Turney population . But if that's what the masses want so be it . There's other factors at play . And last I checked male birds don't lay eggs and have a singular impact on overall turkey population .
There's definitely fewer birds in recent years .

But I saw a large number of Jakes this spring and also huge amount of hens and poults this year .

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I see it as a change that's gonna have a minimal impact on the overall Turney population . But if that's what the masses want so be it . There's other factors at play . And last I checked male birds don't lay eggs and have a singular impact on overall turkey population .
There's definitely fewer birds in recent years .

But I saw a large number of Jakes this spring and also huge amount of hens and poults this year .
What it will do is make larger gobblers, by letting more survive the spring season but not a large increase in the overall population. PA as you probably are aware of has a turkey population that is going down overall, they elected to ban rifles during the fall season in hopes of saving a larger number of hens. Spring is already shotguns only.

·
Registered
28 Posts
They need to not allow hens to be shot during the fall season. It's always blown me away that they're okay with it. We also need to as a collective start coyote and nest predator hunting and trapping actively. I say this yet I do nothing in that regard :/

·
Registered
91 Posts
Glad to see the reduced bag limit. I think it's a step in the right direction. Definitely not a cure all though, as others have stated. I think a large reduction in the raccoon population would be a big help. Those critters are out of control!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think that it makes sense. The population in my area is down. Used to see flocks of 40+ and this year is showing 15-20.
Tire Wheel Plant Kitchen appliance Cookware and bakeware
Bird Plant Beak Tree Grass

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I think that it makes sense. The population in my area is down. Used to see flocks of 40+ and this year is showing 15-20. View attachment 55134 View attachment 55135
Is that a Weber? I had1 down in FL. & used a piece of galvanized sheet metal to make a round insert between the bottom & the lid so I could fit a turkey in it to smoke. Sadly, it got scrunched during 1 of the hurricanes in 2004 by a falling tree limb.

You need to train 1 of those birds to hop up in that kettle. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: jethro

·
Registered
198 Posts
Is that a Weber? I had1 down in FL. & used a piece of galvanized sheet metal to make a round insert between the bottom & the lid so I could fit a turkey in it to smoke. Sadly, it got scrunched during 1 of the hurricanes in 2004 by a falling tree limb.

You need to train 1 of those birds to hop up in that kettle. LOL
Yes - it’s a weber kettle. One of the big hens is definitely trainable haha!

Reactions: HunterGKS

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Yes - it’s a weber kettle. One of the big hens is definitely trainable haha!
To paraphrase a country song lyric: "Save shells. Train a turkey!!"

Reactions: jethro

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I think this is a "feel good" move to assuage hunters who see a declining turkey population and will do minimal to bolster the population. Two gobblers per season is a VERY conservative bag limit. I did a quick check on the 2020 NWTF turkey hunting guide page and of the states that had a bag limit listed (where I didn't have to go looking for it) it breaks down like this (most have it worded "bearded bird" but there are exceptions):
1 bird: 14 states
2 birds: 18 states
3 birds: 10 states
4 birds: 2 states
5 birds: 1 state

Heck even crazy California lets hunters bag 3 gobblers per year.

I'll change my mind if I can be shown some actual scientific evidence that change the bag limit from 2 to 1 will be helpful.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I'm all for doing my part, but unless gobblers start laying eggs, I think this is at best a band-aid.
Always enough Gobblers left for breeding, but it will allow more and larger gobblers each year. Longer spurs and beards.

·
Registered
605 Posts

Passed unanimously at this evenings Wildlife Council meeting.
They need to do this on a county by county bases, I have so many turkeys it’s not funny. No one hunts them anymore. Lot of folks quit when they raised the turkey permit to $32. You can buy a butterball for way less than that. Well, use too. The need to reduce the permit and expand fall Turkey in many counties.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Someone told me that they read this year's hatch was one of the best is recent years . Hopefully if that's the case the limit will be raised back to 2 birds

I guess the 1 bird limit will save some Jakes this year . Maybe in the future we should eliminate Jakes unless your 16 years or younger ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
They need to do this on a county by county bases, I have so many turkeys it’s not funny. No one hunts them anymore. Lot of folks quit when they raised the turkey permit to $32. You can buy a butterball for way less than that. Well, use too. The need to reduce the permit and expand fall Turkey in many counties.
Where we hunt in coshocton turkeys are everywhere

1 - 20 of 26 Posts