Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
Wildlife Habitat
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s been a tough year with loosing all but 1 mature buck to EHD on my usual hunting areas. Did some scouting a couple weeks ago and found some sizable rubs and a good scrape line on a client property here in Central. I’ve been doing a non-native removal on a reverted field/young forest next to a big creek. The sign read like a book once I found the doe bedding in the work unit. A friend and I set up Thurs evening on the doe trails heading to a ag. food source and had a close call with a mature buck corralling a doe back into the thick stuff as she tried to head out to a crop field. I had rattled once early evening. The buck snort wheezed my way when he appeared and kept the doe away from where I was. I assume he heard the rattling. Talk about a calling back fire.

Went back in the next morning with the area upwind about 70 yards hoping to get eyes on him without the doe. Sure enough at 10:45 he came cruising back through and I hit him with one long loud grunt. He heard it and starred my way. He couldn’t see through the jungle of
honeysuckle and came straight in to 25 and started making a scrape. I had a small window about 6” wide and slid an arrow through and took out both lungs. He ran 15 yards and crashed in site.

My friend and I went after a southern OH buck that I know well the next evening with the same plan of hunting near the does main food source in the evening. We got eyes on the buck we were after trailing a doe back in the thick stuff. Went back in the following morning with the same plan of catching him without the doe cruising the closest most concentrated doe bedding area. We set up 60 yards downwind. The buck did the same thing and I again grunted at him, he turned and locked on and started coming on a string. We had a wind direction change happening and a gust blew our scent to him on the way in. It was a close call with a legendary deer. I had his sheds on my pack from 2 years ago and got to see him 2 years older at what ended up being 50 yards. I’ve enjoyed hunting this stage of the rut and getting mature bucks to respond to calls. I haven’t seen him active on here for some time, but the grunt call I use is a Billscustomcall. It was neat to have success with a call that I got to see be hand made for me.

To everyone still hunting, good luck!

ps from your local habitat manager, don’t let your honey suckle establish unchecked. The property I harvested the buck on is one of the worst invasions I’ve seen. The bigger it gets the more costly it is to eradicate. Young honeysuckle can be hand pulled, foliar or basal sprayed with ease.

Plant Tree Wood Natural landscape People in nature

Plant Dog Plant community Carnivore Natural landscape

Wood Tree Trunk Plant Terrestrial animal

Trophy hunting Hunting Deer hunting Plant Carnivore

Plant Plant community Natural landscape Twig Wood

People in nature Gesture Wood Grass Plant

Human body Wood Trunk Art Meat

·
Registered
444 Posts
It’s been a tough year with loosing all but 1 mature buck to EHD on my usual hunting areas. Did some scouting a couple weeks ago and found some sizable rubs and a good scrape line on a client property here in Central. I’ve been doing a non-native removal on a reverted field/young forest next to a big creek. The sign read like a book once I found the doe bedding in the work unit. A friend and I set up Thurs evening on the doe trails heading to a ag. food source and had a close call with a mature buck corralling a doe back into the thick stuff as she tried to head out to a crop field. I had rattled once early evening. The buck snort wheezed my way when he appeared and kept the doe away from where I was. I assume he heard the rattling. Talk about a calling back fire.

Went back in the next morning with the area upwind about 70 yards hoping to get eyes on him without the doe. Sure enough at 10:45 he came cruising back through and I hit him with one long loud grunt. He heard it and starred my way. He couldn’t see through the jungle of
honeysuckle and came straight in to 25 and started making a scrape. I had a small window about 6” wide and slid an arrow through and took out both lungs. He ran 15 yards and crashed in site.

My friend and I went after a southern OH buck that I know well the next evening with the same plan of hunting near the does main food source in the evening. We got eyes on the buck we were after trailing a doe back in the thick stuff. Went back in the following morning with the same plan of catching him without the doe cruising the closest most concentrated doe bedding area. We set up 60 yards downwind. The buck did the same thing and I again grunted at him, he turned and locked on and started coming on a string. We had a wind direction change happening and a gust blew our scent to him on the way in. It was a close call with a legendary deer. I had his sheds on my pack from 2 years ago and got to see him 2 years older at what ended up being 50 yards. I’ve enjoyed hunting this stage of the rut and getting mature bucks to respond to calls. I haven’t seen him active on here for some time, but the grunt call I use is a Billscustomcall. It was neat to have success with a call that I got to see be hand made for me.

To everyone still hunting, good luck!

ps from your local habitat manager, don’t let your honey suckle establish unchecked. The property I harvested the buck on is one of the worst invasions I’ve seen. The bigger it gets the more costly it is to eradicate. Young honeysuckle can be hand pulled, foliar or basal sprayed with ease.

View attachment 56774
View attachment 56772
View attachment 56773
View attachment 56771
View attachment 56769
View attachment 56770
View attachment 56775
Congrats on stud!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts