Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
22,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I am sharing this with all my hunting partners, this thread is INCREDIBLE.

Thanks @Deehntr56 for putting this wealth of knowledge together. 2020 was my first Western hunt experience and I came home with a dandy Mule Deer off Montana BLM land.

Looking forward to many years to come. Any info on Moose by chance?

Shoot Straight, -4J
Thanks and glad your hunt went well in Montana!

Moose? Plan on applying for years to get a chance to draw in most western states. I'm on my 19th preference point for Wyoming and the zone I want I will be waiting some more. I may have to hunt a lesser unit. Points are getting expensive as well so plan accordingly. License costs vary by state as well but those too are expensive. Refer to the state regulations for information. I know Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho Moose licenses run in the $2,200-$2,600 range and I think Montana is still around $1,250. Look them up to make sure. When you add preference point cost to this and other expenses, it gets up there.

If it was me today, I would just go to Canada and hunt moose there. You can book a hunt there for less cost in the long run in most cases. Maine and New Hampshire are tough for non residents to draw as well due to limited non-resident tags which most states allocate a small amount. But the old saying applies, you won't draw if you don't apply.

Merry Christmas to All!

·
22,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hunting applications open Jan. 4

All applications must be submitted online.

12/21/2020 8:54:41 PM

CHEYENNE - For hunters, Jan. 4 is more notable than New Year's Day. That's when the Wyoming Game and Fish Department opens applications for six different big game species and wild turkey. All applications must be submitted online.

Beginning at 8 a.m., resident and nonresident hunters can begin submitting applications for elk, deer, antelope, spring turkey, moose, sheep and mountain goat. The first deadline is Feb. 1 for nonresident elk and resident and nonresident spring turkey.

For 2021 planning, hunters can use the Game and Fish Hunt Planner for estimating season dates. Tentative season information for 2021 is available for moose, sheep, and mountain goat. Elk, deer and antelope hunters can use prior season information for the best estimate. Final season information will be published on May 1, with time for hunters to make modifications or withdraw applications.

New for 2021, nonresident applicants for moose and bighorn sheep will need to elect to opt-in with their applications to be awarded a preference point if unsuccessful in the draw. They will not be automatically purchased if unsuccessful. Otherwise, unsuccessful applicants can apply for a point beginning in July.

Another notable addition for 2021; all applicants will have the ability to make a voluntary donation to Wildlife Crossing, an initiative that funds projects to reduce wildlife and vehicle collisions. Each year, more than 6,000 big game animals are killed on the roads. Read about all the updates in the 2021 Hunting License Application Information.

Details on 2021 deadlines and information will be updated on the Game and Fish Hunt Planner at the end of December. Anyone with questions regarding hunting applications can call (307) 777-4600.

(Game & Fish - (307) 777-4600)

- WGFD -

·
22,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Updated and added some Application due dates.

GO BUCKEYES!

·
22,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Tips for the New Mexico planning and application process

·
22,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Take note starting February-

Game and Fish to launch new login portal for customers-

The new requirement is part of many upgrades to the Game and Fish website coming in 2021.

1/19/2021 9:01:31 PM

CHEYENNE - Coming in February, anyone applying for or buying licenses, permits or stamps from the Wyoming Game and Fish Department website will be asked to create a username and password. The change is to access a login portal for customers and will simplify the licensing processes. The new requirement is part of many upgrades to the Game and Fish website coming in 2021.

"We're excited to launch the login portal because it's a feature the public wanted and it improves the security of customer licensing information," said Jason Edwards, Game and Fish IT application development supervisor. "And we think that customers will find the process very simple and intuitive - much like other websites with user accounts."

The user account feature comes with some big advantages, too. The account will serve as a dashboard for information specific to the customer. For now, people can easily switch between applying or buying licenses and checking preference points without having to login multiple times. But, the future holds a lot more.

The login portal changes will go into effect Feb. 4. Check the Game and Fish website in coming weeks for a how-to video to help anyone smoothly transition to the new, more secure system.

Game and Fish is currently collecting feedback to inform the 2021 redesign and upgrade of the Game and Fish website. Anyone can share their thoughts through a survey that will be open through Jan. 31.

(Sara DiRienzo (307-777-4540))

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/News/Game-and-Fish-to-launch-new-login-portal-for-custo

- WGFD -

·
22,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Colorado Big Game update-

·
22,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Are you looking to purchase a license from the Wyoming Game and Fish Department for the very first time? The first step is to create a Game and Fish user account. Follow this step-by-step tutorial to setup an account with us.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
My last trip out west was Nebraska in 2013. I took some years off while the kids were little. My wife, this past 40th birthday gave me a permission slip to take a western mule deer trip. I don’t want to go too far out west, Nebraska is already a long drive. So I’m looking at Wyoming and the Dakotas. Any info you have on Wyoming units I’m all ears!

·
22,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
My last trip out west was Nebraska in 2013. I took some years off while the kids were little. My wife, this past 40th birthday gave me a permission slip to take a western mule deer trip. I don't want to go too far out west, Nebraska is already a long drive. So I'm looking at Wyoming and the Dakotas. Any info you have on Wyoming units I'm all ears!
Been there done that snoke. I hunted Wyoming several years in a row, then kids in college and other obligations had me go in a different direction for quite a while. Getting permission to hunt Private property was fairly easy back then. It has become much more difficult today. It has in many states.

If you don't have any points, then a General tag is the way to go. You may draw with 1-3 points in just about all the General areas. Need to focus on General tags with Lots of public land and that generally is in the Western parts of the state along with areas in the Central area as well.

Start with the Hunt planner here on the Wyoming site- I would visit the harvest results they have posted along with the draw results so you can get an idea on the successful harvest percentages are by unit along with how many points it takes to draw.

If your looking for a 170 class or better deer, then several points are needed to draw some of the select limited tag areas. Many high demand/low tag units need in excess of a dozen points to draw. Point creep is becoming an issue too.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Hunt-Planner/Deer-Hunting

Here is some information to consider-

https://www.huntaddicts.com/hunt-info/top-hunts/wyomings-top-hunt-units/#wyomingdeer

https://blog.eastmans.com/guy-eastmans-top-wy-mule-deer-areas-2020/

Reactions: medicsnoke

·
22,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The 2021 Big Game and Sheep and Goat brochures are now available. And, if you plan to hunt Colorado this fall, now is the time to prepare for the upcoming license draw and the fall hunting seasons.

·
22,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Colorado. Nevada. Montana and Kansas are a few with application dates coming due in April.

·
22,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Colorado has an April 6 due date around the corner for applications. Season timing this year have changed for some Big Game.

·
22,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Montana Wolf License to be available this fall-

MONTANA SET TO OFFER WOLF HUNTING LICENSES AUG. 31
Montana's Fish, Wildlife & Parks will offer licenses for sale beginning Aug. 31 for the state's first regulated wolf hunting season.

In July, officials set the statewide harvest quota at 75 wolves for hunting seasons that are set to open Sept. 15 in select backcountry, or wilderness, areas.

Licenses will be valid within three specifically defined wolf management units. Hunters must obtain permission to hunt on private lands.

Wolf licenses will be available for purchase online at fwp.mt.gov, or from any FWP license provider. Hunters must have, or also purchase, a valid 2009 conservation license. Wolf hunting licenses are $19 for residents and $350 for nonresidents.

Wolf hunting-season dates correspond to Montana's early back-country big game hunting season, which runs Sept. 15 through Nov. 29; and the big game rifle season set for Oct. 25 through Nov. 29. If certain quotas aren't met, the wolf-hunting season could be extended in some areas from Dec. 1 through Dec. 31.

The wolf-hunting season, however, could still be blocked by groups that recently sued the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to prevent wolf delisting. Such legal challenges prevented wolf delisting and a 2008 hunting season and could affect the sale of wolf hunting licenses this year. FWP intends to join the court proceedings in defense of the delisting decision at the appropriate time.

To learn more about Montana?s wolf population, visit FWP online

·
22,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Colorado due date extended——

The CPW logo and Seize the opportunity. in white lettering are superimposed over an image of a drawn bow.
Primary draw application deadline extended until Friday, April 9 at 8 p.m.

Hunters hoping to draw a big-game license in Colorado in 2021 will now have until Fri., April 9 at 8 p.m. MT to apply in the primary draw due to volume-related technological issues that kept some hunters from being able to apply before the original deadline of April 6 at 8 p.m.

·
22,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Kentucky Elk application due date a few weeks away.....,,,Due April 30th!!!!

Reactions: AES

·
22,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Several states out West have exceeded Hunting application numbers and Colorado just set a new record-

Colorado hunting applications for big game break record high

LITTLETON, Colo. (KDVR) — Colorado Parks and Wildlife said the number of big game applications for the 2021 season is the highest ever, and now a new record.

Elk, mule deer, moose, some of the best big game hunting in North America is right here in Colorado.

“The state is attractive for hunting because we have great wildlife resources. We have very strong wildlife populations, we have a variety of the big game species you can hunt,” Jason Clay, CPW spokesman said.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts