Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems this website may be dying off but for those of us left let’s keep the discussions going.

How’s your scouting been so far?

I found some public land teal this morning, everything else I scouted was pretty barren. Few groups of geese in some areas.

What are your scouting tactics? Everybody says SCOUT, SCOUT, SCOUT- so I SCOUT, SCOUT AND THEN I SCOUT SOME MORE, but still find very little waterfowl. I’ve been putting a ton of miles on my truck and a lot of public land miles on my boots, hardly any success finding spots to hunt. The 3 spots I have in mind might have to be campouts the night before opener and we all know how that can be ruined by the degenerate walking or motoring in through your set 20 minutes before shooting time.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
still warm out, getting pumped for dove season....scouted mosquito and saw a few ducks but we wont be hunting there till november.....sounds like your putting your time in, keep it up, im sure your learning something everytime out

·
Registered
408 Posts
Early season scouting is all about water for ducks. Geese will be hitting wheat/hay fields (Maybe some early harvested corn fields). If you find water with ducks on it, they will be there until somebody hunts it. No migration this time of year. (Teal are the exception). After a heavy rain, if you can find flooded areas, these can be hot spots. (doesn't have to be a crop field). A lot of my early season spots are one and done hunts. So it helps to have several places to hunt this time of year. I prefer to hunt the second half of the season when the weather turns bad. Keeps birds moving!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did some more scouting today, found a public place that will most likely be overlooked. Didn’t see any waterfowl but it’s definitely a for sure place to get some decoys wet!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Any places near Franklin county where there could be some geese? Because of work haven't been able to scout at all, so any tip would be appreciated specially since early waterfowl starts on Saturday (and want to have a goose dinner haha)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just posted on another post, I've been scouting like crazy and haven't seen anything. Going to go for a little kayak trip up by ladue tomorrow morning then swing down to funk bottoms on sunday. Might bring the shotgun to maybe jump shoot a couple canadas but it's not looking good. I'm mainly trying to start checking out the spots I want to get into when the season actually starts. The list kept growing last year and I really only hunted the same 5 spots on rotation. Trigger, hopefully you found some birds to get into!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts