Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

2020 Numero Uno

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  0ne3 
#1 ·
I stepped out the side door onto the deck on my way to check on the ground hog that has taken up residence under my butcher shop at about 9:55 this morning. I looked over at the bank & saw something about half way down. I eased back into the house, grabbed the .223 & cranked up the scope to 9x. I took the shot freehand & watched it roll down the bank at about 70 yards It was a youngish female.

Last year, I racked up my 1 & only on 04/01. There just aren't very many pasture piggies on my property as there used to be. Not really a bad thing but it does reduce my practice shooting.

Carnivore Mammal Fawn Terrestrial animal Wombat

Grizzly bear Plant Brown bear Fawn Carnivore

See less See more
#3 ·
Keep in mind that each hole into a den also has a corresponding exit hole. If you can figure out which 2 holes are connected, you can throw a smoke bomb down 1 & wait at the other.

#5 ·
Congratulations!! I had a message on my answering machine when I got home from work today. It was the neighbor down the road telling me where they were seeing a groundhog. LOL! Don't tell my husband but I actually won't hunt them on my farm (unless one is causing building damage) until middle of June. Gives them time to have their litters and get them weaned. He of course wants them all gone but I like hunting them so I let a few go every year to repopulate. LOL! But I'll be going down to my neighbor's this weekend to try to find the one they saw behind the dairy barn. :D :D

#6 ·
I've seen a few, but that's just been driving.

But I just came back from sighting in my 17hmr and my 223. I did the 50 yard sighting thing for both. If you sight in a 17hmr for 50 yards, it will rise a bit, then come back down and be right on at 100 yards. (and 2.5" down at 150 yards)

For the 223, sighting at 50 yards, means it will be 1" high at 100 yards, and right on at 200 yards. (assuming a 1.5" scope line above the bullet...which is what I have) I can live with that.

I haven't shot the 223 in several years. I haven't been doing as much groundhog hunting as I have wanted. But this summer I will be 'social distancing' in farm fields. When I bought the 223 about 6 years ago, I put a Mueller scope on it. Good, but still rather budget scope. And I'd get it sighted in, then I'd shoot it weeks later, and it would be off. Then one time it was REALLY off in the same shooting day. (clicks for 1" down ended up being 6" high..what???) So I said this thing must be broken. So I sent it back to Mueller. While it was gone, a sale showed up for a scope meant for a 223 (Don't remember what it was) so I bought it. But then with no warning, Mueller sends me a brand new scope. (with a letter saying the original was defective) So I put the Muller back on, but I never sighted it back in. Well I did today. Now I'm READY!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.