Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
I rechecked and what it said I apparently assumed it was bedded at least in some manner. It said that Boyd's stocks are machined from the most stable materials to maintain a free floated barrel. My trigger guard is reused and my clip release is part of my gun. Mr. Boyd is seen replacing the stock of the same model gun that I have and is replacing it with the type of stock that I want to get, a laminated thumbhole stock. It takes him less than 2 minutes to change it. Here is how you can see it. Type this in and then when it comes up click on the guy with the light colored shirt in the top left corner, it shows the video length time at 1.59, this is Mr. Boyd. Type in ; Boyd's replacement gunstocks for the Remington 783 long action rifles. You will see him change it. They do reinforce them with cross bolts and fitted to be free floated, but I would also glass bed it, even if it was pillar bedded.
For what my rifle is used for it'll be fine. I could glass bed, but it's a predator rifle, not a bench competition gun.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
I got my aluminum magazine latch yesterday and installed it last night. Had to file the pillar length until everything fell into place, just as the seller stated. Fits nicely and the magazine snaps more positively into place than in did before. May head out this afternoon to shoot it.

·
Banned
5,409 Posts
I haven't been out either. I need to check some reloads for POI and how tight they group and the range floods so its been a muddy mess and too cold. I might try and slip out tonight and do that and make a stand or two if we get snow. Im getting the get back in the woods itch.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I just picked up another couple hundred of acres of good hunting ground today! I was just seeking to take coyotes mainly, but I actually received permission to hunt whatever I want that's in season. I guess it goes to show that coyote hunting does payoff one way or another....

Cool beans! :D
Great news! You can never have too many places to hunt.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Plan on spending my Friday evening out! Gonna try to reel one in.... :D

View attachment 27971 View attachment 27972
We talked about the Boyd's stocks before. was this one glass bedded or did you bed it? Also the new one; how tight of a fit was it, Boyd's claim that sometimes a little inletting may have to be done. No hurry for a reply, kill them yotes!! P.S. I bought a Witt brake for my 300 win. mag. a lot less kick, but my ears are still ringing.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Sorry about that wildlife, my mistake, I don't get all of the updates for some reason and when I got one, it was past where you already gave the information I wanted, so no need to reply to #157. I am also getting a pop-up on this site that is driving me nuts! It's shown as a back ground and at times stops everything. Good luck tonight, and keep watching over your shoulder for Bigfoot!!

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
We talked about the Boyd's stocks before. was this one glass bedded or did you bed it? Also the new one; how tight of a fit was it, Boyd's claim that sometimes a little inletting may have to be done. No hurry for a reply, kill them yotes!! P.S. I bought a Witt brake for my 300 win. mag. a lot less kick, but my ears are still ringing.
They don't come glass bedded.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
They don't come glass bedded.
Yea 63 ; no bedding at all not even pillar bedded, I was thinking that the one on E-bay was used and may have been bedded by the previous owner. I think I am going to get one of the thumbhole laminated stocks. My stock is pillar bedded but it isn't wood. I read an article that said you needed a wooden stock to glass bed them, the article also suggests bedding the whole action. Slow motion filming was said to show the action moving or twisting even when the action is glass bedded. I guess it wouldn't hurt to bed everything just to be sure.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
F.Y.I. - The stock that I purchased off of ebay.com was in fact brand new, never opened out of the box really other than to take a picture of it. The original single owner sold it because he sold the rifle he planned on upgrading originally.

The work that I did to this newly purchased stock includes the steel pillars and the aluminum mag plate, which are fully bedded along with a complete and full glass action bedding job.

I assure you that the rifle action within my new Boyds stock does not slide front to back nor rotate at all after the work that I did to it. It's a very, very tight fit for the rifle action within the new stock. The barrel remains fully floated and the consistency towards accuracy with the little testing that I did was a huge improvement over the original stock off a bipod.

I never did shoot the rifle with the new Boyds stock before I did the upgrades, however I did put the rifle action into the stock before I did the upgrades and torque it down to manufacturer's specifications, and yes, the action did have minor play in it when handled and treated roughly. I no longer have that issue with the upgrades that I did to the rifle stock now.

I'm very pleased with the results considering the time and little money invested in upgrading my brand new Boyds stock that I purchased off of ebay.com. Something I would recommend anyone to have done to a wooden stock regardless if you're shooting competitively or hunting alike. It will increase the life of the rifle and value in my opinion.

Hope I clarified that well enough for you BB.

Happy Easter to you!
Gotcha! I think you did an excellent job, and you also answered my other question, that the barreled action dropped in without any farther inletting. That's Great!

·
Banned
5,409 Posts
The weather is supposed to be white again this Saturday with a potential of 4-8" of snow and temperatures between 22-41 degrees. With that in mind, I hope to get another coyote hunt in within the next few days.

So, since I really haven't done extensive testing of my most recent rifle upgrade, I decided to sneak out this afternoon and shoot up some more paper.

View attachment 28041

This afternoon temperature was 42 degrees, sunny with gusty West winds from 7-19 mph. I laid the target sideways because of the gusty winds.

I setup my targets up for 3 -10 round 168 grain full magazines of the Federal MatchKing Golds with a distance of 200 yards. I had a cross wind while I laid in the prone position shooting off of my 6"-9" 'TipTop' bipod.

View attachment 28043 View attachment 28044

From left to right, I shot 10 rounds for each target. The first target was to get my scope setup for the conditions and distance. The second target was after my scope was zerod for the current conditions and distance and I took my time and gave it my best. Mirage was a factor due to the sun warming the area up. The third target was shooting 10 quick rounds in a rapid succession, approximately a couple seconds between trigger pull. Between each target shot at, I cleaned my rifle barrel and let it cool down some. In the middle of my second target test, the wind blew over my target and I had to walk down to the target location and setup it back up and had to place a large stone on the leg so it wouldn't blow over again.

View attachment 28045

So, a total of 30 rounds shot;

Target #1 - 7 hits out of 10
Target #2 - 10 out of 10 hits with more than half sub MOA.

View attachment 28047

Target #3 - 10 out of 10 hits with more than half around 1.3" MOA

View attachment 28048

Considering the conditions, I am very pleased with these results and the rifle performed flawlessly throughout this test. Now I'll be setting it up for my next hunt that will hopefully take place either Friday or Saturday. :D
If I remember right 1.5" at 200 is moa or something like that! My buddy explained it to me but I forgot. Good shooting there wildlife!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Wildlife: If the wind has been as bad in Ohio as it's been in Pa that is exceptional shooting at 200 yards. If you were to reload, you could work up different loads and probably end up getting the most accurate loads that way. It all depends on how accurate you want the gun to be. I think I see you developing into someone that wants his rifle to shoot the best it can possibly shoot and there is nothing wrong with that. Its all enjoyable, and very satisfying making your gun and loads come together as one mean accurate rifle. Enjoy the trip.

·
Banned
5,409 Posts
I have to say wildlife that is a sweet rifle setup! I am torn on getting the AT One or the Boyds classic. I almost popped on a thumbhole the other day and seen a video where you have to remove your hand from the hole to activate the safety. Way too much movement and time loss for me. Only thing I'm debating on with the AT one is the plastic. Do you find the plastic to be pretty sturdy and the grip to be good?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone is southern Ohio want to or know of some places to coyote hunt? please let me know. im game to hunt them. new to this group but will be getting my hunting in this year mucho. thanks again guys.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Anyone is southern Ohio want to or know of some places to coyote hunt? please let me know. im game to hunt them. new to this group but will be getting my hunting in this year mucho. thanks again guys.
Welcome to the site. We hunt around the Athens area a good bit. I live in Kettering but have a cabin near Nelsonville. Haven't been hunting them much this time of year. I have two rifles, a Foxpro Fusion call and Wicked lights. When we start hunting your welcome to join. Where are you located?

·
Registered
3 Posts
im in Centerville. im actually going tomorrow to scout a friends property whom he says has some resident yotes he wants reduced. id love to go with you man. don't know many people around here in general who hunt.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
I'm close to the Kettering /Beavercreek line. I have some farms around Beavercreek Township that I hunt. Crops are too big and it's too thick right now. Usually they're right on top of you before you know it and you're busted. When the crops come off I do a lot of night calling out there if I'm not at my cabin.
WP_20161221_08_28_42_Pro (2).jpg

101 - 120 of 122 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.