Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
21 - 40 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Seems chili is a popular dish right now. :)

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I need to figure a good way to keep a running total then maybe just do a monthly wrap up.

January so far:
Jan 1: Venison (dinner)
Jan 3: Rabbit (dinner)
Jan 5: Rabbit (lunch)
Jan 6: Venison (lunch)
Jan 7: Wild salmon (dinner)
Jan 8: Venison (dinner)
Jan 9: Wild salmon wrap sandwich for lunch.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
1/9/16 Chili leftovers

Today is going to be paella with Venison chorizo

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I have had chilli for breakfast yesterday and today teriyaki jerky while salting property's. Yesterday.

I wanted to add that until around 5 years ago my family really only ate jerky. I then started processing my own Deer and the quality improved 100 full. Keeping the scrap and fat out is huge. Adding bacon or pork to the burger is just a game changer. My family now eat nothing but deer all year. Scrap gets grilled and added to the dogs food on special occasions.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
1/11/16 15 degrees, wind chill of 0. Venison burgers on the grill oh yeah! (I called yesterday my taste of summer meal with Texas Ranger baked beans, home fries and then homemade peach cobbler and homemade vanilla ice cream to round out the meal).

Wildman do you ever keep some of your burger plain? Just curious. When I first started eating venison, we used to have pork added. Gradually I got away from that and nowadays I way prefer my ground venison plain with nothing added. Just a personal preference though.

·
Registered
895 Posts
1/11/16. Venision chili the wife made today, so good! Great meal for coldest day of the year. We roughly follow the wired to hunt's best Venision chili recipe.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I do when I make jerkey shooter sticks..

The bacon mixed is strictly for burgers & it just doesn't get any better. So good.

Mixing in pork shoulder adds a few pounds and some fat.. Wife likes it in the meat. If I didn't it wouldn't matter to me.. Cooks up a little better imo. It's for tacos, stroganoff, and stuff like that. To me it really doesn't make a huge difference one way or the other.. But the bacon I will always use it.... Forever!!! (Quote from the movie The Sand Lot)Lol

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
January so far:
Jan 9: Wild salmon (lunch).
Jan 11: Venison (dinner)
Jan 13: Wild salmon (dinner)

Going to finish off the wild salmon on a wrap sandwich for lunch today. With just two of us in the household and one of us who loves to cook, we tend to eat a lot of leftovers through the week.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Venison sausage mixed with peppers, onions potatoes and eggs last night 1/13

Tomorrow venison tacos.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
1/17 Venison fajitas, cilantro lime brown rice

·
Banned
5,409 Posts
so far for me lots of jerky. original with just garlic and herb and Montreal steak seasoning. the next batch I made I made with mesquite seasoning, garlic and herb, Montreal steak season and franks red hot mixed together and left in fridge overnight. guys at work said best jerky they ever had.

tomorrow if the mechanic doesn't take too long it will be burgers with sweet and spicy open pit BBQ sauce, garlic and herb and steak seasoning mixed and marinade overnight. then ore franks red hot jerky. I have to get my fear shaken from the propane grill and make some steaks and stuff. cooking burgers last month on the grill it flared up and flames shooting everywhere cause I forgot to clean it out before us. couldn't shut off propane cause I couldn't get close to it. thought for sure I was going to get blown across the yard.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
January so far:
Jan 9: Wild salmon (lunch).
Jan 11: Venison (dinner)
Jan 13: Wild salmon (dinner)
Jan 14: Wild salmon (lunch)
Jan 17: venison (dinner)
Cheeseburgers last night for dinner. One of my favs!

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
1/18 Venison barley soup with vegetables

Reactions: bluedog

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
1/19 Pasta Bolognese with venison ground meat

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
1/11/16 15 degrees, wind chill of 0. Venison burgers on the grill oh yeah! (I called yesterday my taste of summer meal with Texas Ranger baked beans, home fries and then homemade peach cobbler and homemade vanilla ice cream to round out the meal).

Wildman do you ever keep some of your burger plain? Just curious. When I first started eating venison, we used to have pork added. Gradually I got away from that and nowadays I way prefer my ground venison plain with nothing added. Just a personal preference though.
Blue, I keep my ground plain. That way I can add or not depending upon what I am making. For tacos I add nothing. For chili I go half venison and half sausage (venison or store bought). For meatloaf and or burgers I cut up some bacon into small bits and mix in before cooking. Other times I have added pork sausage. With bacon I do about 3 strips cut up to a pound of venison. Too much bacon will cause it to flare up. I cook on charcoal and feel it makes all the difference in the world in a burger. Neighbors think I am crazy cause until it gets down to about 25 or less I just fire up the grill and cook away. Standing in the snow with a glass of red wine cooking venison on the grill is wonderful this time of year. I do shy away from chicken and things that take a while until it gets above 40 or so.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Two pounds of ground venison meatballs ready to go into the oven. Spaghetti and meatballs tonight. Will use some for meatball subs later this week or weekend.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Venison meatball sub and home canned green beans for Friday night supper.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
January 24th venison meatball wrap sandwich for lunch.

Dang I made a lot of meatballs for two people. LOL

21 - 40 of 251 Posts