Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
241 - 251 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
Mr bluedog got invited to go on a South Dakota pheasant hunt this past November. So now I'm adding wild pheasant to my meal planning. Cooked up two pheasants in the crockpot, covered with water and veggies to make a broth. Used the cooked pheasant meat and pheasant broth in a recipe to make homemade pheasant pot pie. This one is a keeper.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
My husband and I did a count down of species of animal in our freezer. In addition to 3 domestic meats (chicken, pork, beef), there are also 11 different wild meats of various mammals, birds and fish for a total of 14 different species. It seemed fitting to end the year with a meal of wild game. So tonight it was wild turkey nuggets with honey mustard sauce. Accompanied by a salad and homemade yellow bean "mac n cheese". 2019 has blessed us with a tremendous variety.
Food Tableware Plate Ingredient Recipe

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
Apparently my mind had a very similar thought this year as it did last year. Although I didn't remember until Facebook reminded me this morning, last year for NYE dinner I made wild turkey nuggets. This year I made BBQ pulled wild turkey sandwiches. (I have a more proper dinner planned for tomorrow. LOL) I put the wild turkey breast half in the crockpot yesterday evening under water and seasonings and cooked on low for 24 hours. This makes the breast meat falling apart tender.

Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Animal product

Then mix the meat with BBQ sauce and heat through. I briefly thought about making proper side dishes but I worked today and ate a late lunch, so opted for chips and dip. LOL As per usual on NYE, I'm sure I'll be in bed before 10pm. :D :D

Food Tableware Recipe Fast food Plate

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
My best effort yet at duck (and dove LOL). Cleaned out the freezer: 2 wood duck breasts and 2 mourning dove breasts. I kind of sort of followed a duck taco recipe I got off the Ducks Unlimited web site. I think what made this above and beyond what I did before was I pounded the breasts to 1/4" or thereabouts first (thanks Ducks Unlimited for that tip!). Then I sliced the breasts into thin strips. I added just a little water and tossed the raw meat strips in taco seasoning. Then I basically stir fried the meat in a skillet with hot olive oil. SO TENDER! And the favor was wonderful. This is definitely a keeper.

Food Ingredient Recipe Cooking Cookware and bakeware

Food Corn kernels Tableware Corn Sweet corn

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
I acquired some more steelhead from someone I know who goes walleye fishing on Lake Erie in the summer and will catch an incidental steelhead from time to time. He doesn't like steelhead but knows that I love it so he brings them home, cleans them, vacuum seals them and gives them to me. 😊

One of the fish was smaller than most of the ones he gives me so I decided to try a new recipe. I didn't have all the ingredients and I left a couple ingredients out but this is definitely a keeper. I didn't have orange marmalade so I used orange juice plus some brown sugar. I left out the peppers and cilantro as we are not huge fans of either especially on fish. Link to the full recipe below, after the pictures.

Sautéed some onion and garlic in olive oil and then added 1/3 cup orange juice, 2 Tbsp brown sugar, 1.5 Tbsp soy sauce and 1 Tbsp lime juice. Simmered the mixture to reduce it some until it started to thicken.

Then in a preheated grill, I put the fillets on foil and cooked 4 minutes. Then spooned the orange juice mixture over the fillets and grilled 3 more minutes. Delicious. As usual my presentation and camera skills are suspect. LOL

Link to the full recipe:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Looks delicious! I have some wahoo and mahi in the freezer and I'm gonna try that glaze on some of it.

Reactions: bluedog

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
Tonight was a white chili recipe. I used a mix of black and Cannellini beans. Meat was a mix of squirrel and groundhog. Used some veggies that I froze: sweet corn, a poblano pepper and some yellow tomatoes. This recipe used a whole block of cream cheese. Oh my! Delicious. And some copycat Red Lobster cheddar biscuits too. 😋
Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Cuisine

241 - 251 of 251 Posts