Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
221 - 240 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 · (Edited)
July 6: crappie sandwich for lunch and squirrel enchilada for dinner. The opposite of the day before.
July 7: crappie sandwiches for dinner
I have so many darn leftovers to eat. LOL The squirrel enchiladas are done though. I have one more sandwich size packet of cooked squirrel in the freezer then all my cooked squirrel meat is gone. I still have 5-6 uncooked squirrels in the freezer. I'll cook those in one batch to finish last season's take but probably not for another month or two.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
July 9: crappie sandwich for lunch
Where are you getting all these crappie Blue? Reading your posts made me hungry for them so I went out Saturday to Mosquito Lake but did not find them. I have never had much luck with summer time crappie.

Made venison Fatty's this weekend.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 · (Edited)
Where are you getting all these crappie Blue? Reading your posts made me hungry for them so I went out Saturday to Mosquito Lake but did not find them. I have never had much luck with summer time crappie.

Made venison Fatty's this weekend.
A co-worker of mine, her parents fish. I did them a favor last year and they gave me a couple packages they had frozen. I cooked a pretty big batch for 2 people with the thought of having already cooked pieces for a quick sandwich at lunch.

Oh and July 11: crappie sandwich for lunch. LOL

There is still one more piece already cooked. Not sure if Mr bluedog or I will get to it first.

And also venison cheeseburger for dinner.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·
I am totally slacking this month. I know I had a squirrel sandwich for lunch last Friday and sloppy does for dinner. Finished the sloppy does tonight for dinner.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
Well my wild game journaling fell apart. But I did make something new for me recently. I pulled all of last year's squirrels that were left in the freezer (about 6), slow cooked them in the crockpot and deboned the meat. I froze some and kept a cup or two of meat for the current meal. The time before when I cooked squirrels, I cooked them in water with some veggies and made a nice rich stock. I froze the stock in one pint containers.

Then I made some homemade buttermilk biscuits. Only my second time I made them. I think the 1st time they rose better but they were still delicious.

Then I used the squirrel stock to make homemade squirrel gravy. Squirrel meat and squirrel gravy over biscuits. Yum! And some Brandywine tomato on the side.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
Thawed out and cooked my last steelhead tonight. I sure hope my steelhead fishing acquaintance has another good season and wants to give some more away. :D

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
Well even though my journal fell through I do have something new to add. Wanted to try something different so I had 3 rabbits left in the freezer from last season. I thawed them out. Deboned the meat and ran through the meat grinder with 3 strips of bacon. Made into patties. Seasoned with some dry run and cooked on the grill. Oh my were they delicious.

Grilled wild rabbit cheeseburgers.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
This may be my favorite groundhog recipe to date. Woodchuck salad sandwich. Mayo, onion, garlic salt, lemon juice, a little sugar, dill and a handful of chopped walnuts. Don't think I forgot anything. Taste bud heaven. Wow it was a good sandwich.

·
Banned
5,409 Posts
well i broke down and cooked some backstraps last night for my lunch today. I thawed them in the fridge for 2 days in a zip lock bag with Italian dressing, garlic powder, montreal steak seasoning all mixed in with the Italian dressing to let it soak in. Upon cooking them i turn a frying pan on low and slice the straps down the middle and pour the remaining dressing in the hole and let them simmer for about an hour on low. this lets the spices and dressing soak into the meat real well. Eating them now and its amazing!

221 - 240 of 251 Posts