Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
201 - 220 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Planning on having venison tacos again this evening. Almost had a disaster. Have all my venison in a freezer in the garage. Had a family gathering on Sunday and I am guessing one of the grandkids did not properly close the door on the freezer after getting into it looking for popsicles no doubt. I went out Tuesday morning to grab a pound of ground venison to thaw for the tacos and found the stuff in the freezer door almost thawed and the rest on its way to being thawed. Just lucky I was looking to make tacos as sometimes I go a week or more without looking at that freezer.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
Lucky catch Uncle Mike. We lost a deer and a half one summer when the door of the freezer came open and no one noticed.

June 4: venison hotdogs for dinner.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Venison Shepard's pie today. One of my favorites. I use the tough cuts and cut it into small bite size portions and cook it in a Dutch oven on top of the stove. Ends up very tender. Recipe has about two cups of red wine rather than chicken or beef stock. Very flavorful. Great way to enjoy the lesser cuts of venison.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Saturday the 18th venison steaks done over hardwood coals while camping in McKean County P.A. in the National Forest.

Venison chops in a cast iron skillet last night.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
June 21
I finally cooked the snapping turtle I caught last summer. I've made turtle a few different ways and tonight had to have been my favorite yet. And it was so simple.

I quartered it up five days after catching him. This allows time for him to "clean out." You wouldn't believe how many crawdads came out of him. Also kept the neck meat,tail meat, and backstraps.

First I dip each piece in milk/egg. Then coated it with the Cajun mix made by McCormicks. Deep fried it in soybean oil. One side for about one minute, then turning it to the other side for one minute. After it was all fried, I put it on the top rack of my charcoal grill for about 35 minutes. The inside temp stayed around 400-425. Smoke was rolling out the smoke stack. It was delicious.

Jeans Smile Flash photography Grass Elbow
Food Cuisine Recipe Deep frying Dish

·
Registered
822 Posts
June 21
I finally cooked the snapping turtle I caught last summer. I've made turtle a few different ways and tonight had to have been my favorite yet. And it was so simple.

I quartered it up five days after catching him. This allows time for him to "clean out." You wouldn't believe how many crawdads came out of him. Also kept the neck meat,tail meat, and backstraps.

First I dip each piece in milk/egg. Then coated it with the Cajun mix made by McCormicks. Deep fried it in soybean oil. One side for about one minute, then turning it to the other side for one minute. After it was all fried, I put it on the top rack of my charcoal grill for about 35 minutes. The inside temp stayed around 400-425. Smoke was rolling out the smoke stack. It was delicious.

View attachment 21216 View attachment 21217
What do u mean by cleaning out ?

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
June 26: squirrel enchiladas for supper

June 27: venison hot dogs for dinner

Back to more wild game this week. 2 weeks ago I roasted one of our 7 lb (dressed) chickens. It's been chicken salad, chicken sandwiches, chicken Fettuccini, chicken, chicken, chicken. LOL A big roaster goes a long way for two people.

201 - 220 of 251 Posts