Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 20 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to invite anyone who has an interest in doing this to join in on this thread. I was thinking about what I wrote in blog post on my successful deer hunt - the part about around half the meat my husband and I eat come from wild game. I'm not really sure how accurate that is. I just kind of thought about it in my head. I do know that I buy very little meat at the store. Maybe once a week we might have pork or an occasional beef steak or roast or we might eat out. Most of what we eat is chicken that we raise ourselves, then venison, then squirrel or rabbit or wild caught fish. So I thought I would try to keep track of exactly how much wild game we eat. I am going to include not only game from the farm, but also fish such as crappie, bluegill, steelhead, perch etc that have been caught by individuals from local ponds, rivers and lakes. Plus any other wild game that someone would have given me to try. I think you get the gist.

So if you have ever wondered how much wild game you eat in a year. Feel free to join in on this thread to keep track. I'm not sure I can keep this going for a whole year, but I'm going to try.

January 1st dinner - venison chili
January 3rd dinner - wild rabbit and gravy.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Venison Chili on 1/2/16

Venison Jerky on 1/3/16

Venison swiss steak for dinner tonight 1/4/16. One of my favorites.... flour and brown the steak in a pan with just a touch of oil, then cover in cream of mushroom soup with an onion cut and thrown on top. Cover and bake in the oven at 350 for a few hours and have with mashed tato's and a veggie. Can't wait for dinner.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Late to the ball but...
Jan 1 Fish fry Lake Erie walleye
Jan 2 smoked pheasant with goat cheese, crusty bread, and apple slices. Not a wild pheasant so might not count.

Reactions: bluedog

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Late to the ball but...
Jan 1 Fish fry Lake Erie walleye
Jan 2 smoked pheasant with goat cheese, crusty bread, and apple slices. Not a wild pheasant so might not count.
The pheasant counts as I assume you went into the field (with your dog) and hunted it. Perhaps not the same as a truly wild pheasant but for the purposes here, it counts. It had a chance to get away. Now if you raised up pheasant chicks in a pen and then when grown, caught the pheasant in a pen to butcher and eat, that would not count. That would be just like a chicken, eh? LOL

And now I want some walleye. YUM!

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
The pheasant counts as I assume you went into the field (with your dog) and hunted it. Perhaps not the same as a truly wild pheasant but for the purposes here, it counts. It had a chance to get away. Now if you raised up pheasant chicks in a pen and then when grown, caught the pheasant in a pen to butcher and eat, that would not count. That would be just like a chicken, eh? LOL

And now I want some walleye. YUM!

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
1/2/16 Venison stew
1/3/16 Venison filet
1/4/16 Keema (ground venison with peas, an Indian dish)

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
1/7/16 Venison meatloaf stuffed with mushrooms and onions. Side of roasted veggies

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
January 8th Dinner finished up the venison chili.

Kind of on a roll right now. I have venison burger thawed out for the grill on Sunday before the snow flies again. But then I have a big package of chicken thawing out so that should dominate next week.

1 - 20 of 251 Posts