Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a report that the 2012 Spring turkey season is on track to harvest 18,000 birds AND over 80 % have been ADULTS.
The adult numbers are above the averages that have been stable for years.
Enjoy the 2012 harvest of your big bird(s) but 2013 may be lean for adults,and hope for this perfect nesting weather to hold for a great hatch to have some Jakes out there in 2013.

Also some Western Ohio counties are having a banner year in numbers even better than traditional counties like Vinton.

I would like all Ohio Sportsmen to add what they harvested and number of Jakes seen in 2012.

I shot a 4 1/2 old tom in 2 days hunting- no Jakes seen Knox county.

Buddy shot a 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 - 5 days hunting -no Jakes seen Knox.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'd like to know where you found the county totals. I'd be interested in seeing my county results.

·
Banned
955 Posts
I heard a report that the 2012 Spring turkey season is on track to harvest 18,000 birds AND over 80 % have been ADULTS.
The adult numbers are above the averages that have been stable for years.
Enjoy the 2012 harvest of your big bird(s) but 2013 may be lean for adults,and hope for this perfect nesting weather to hold for a great hatch to have some Jakes out there in 2013.

Also some Western Ohio counties are having a banner year in numbers even better than traditional counties like Vinton.

I would like all Ohio Sportsmen to add what they harvested and number of Jakes seen in 2012.

I shot a 4 1/2 old tom in 2 days hunting- no Jakes seen Knox county.

Buddy shot a 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 - 5 days hunting -no Jakes seen Knox.
The lack of jakes vary from area to area. I have pics of as many as 9 jakes in one area and called in 6 one day hunting. I let them go for stock for next year.

As far as Western Ohio counties like Montgomery, Greene, Warren, etc putting up kill #'s in the 300-400 range? I call BS.

·
Super Moderator
3,037 Posts
I'm curious how all of the birds you mention are something and 1/2 years old. Did they hatch in November?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I hunt in Carroll county and I harvested a jake, and a 4 year old..last year I saw Many groups of large groups of Jakes.. 10-12 and at least 4 or five different groups. Last year winter was so mild I'm sure mortality was way down .. Could explain the number of mature birds

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
593 Posts
Killed a 4 year old 2nd day. Saw the same group of 5 jakes 5-6 times now....I have heard them everyday gobbling off the roost, They just don't always come by where i'm hunting

·
Registered
186 Posts
When hunting in Northern Ohio, I've actually seen more jakes this year than I have in the past 7 - 8 years. Was consistantly seeing a group of 5 on a property I hunted for a few days till I killed a tom there. Place I hunted yesterday, which is about 2 miles from 1st spot, had a group of 9 swing by my hen decoy in the morning. I moved to another spot about 2 miles from there and had 4 come by in the afternoon.

Pleasently surprised given the weather we had last spring/summer. So far, this year's spring seems great! Wish we had a strong cicada hatch going on too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts