Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post pics and a short write up about your youth hunt and earn 2 bonus points. Please include Team name, your screen name, and date of hunt.

·
5,040 Posts
Bawana
Team 8
4/21/2012

Got it done in the rain this morning! Set up on a little green field and never heard a thing rain wasn't real heavy and I was hoping the birds would hit this field. I was calling about every five minutes, just soft yelping and clucks. I was getting ready to call again when I caught movement off to my right and out he walked. Tucker, my youth hunter did the rest! the bird gave him about a 20 yard shot, I clucked, He put his head up and BANG! Another load of Federal heavyweights sent a gobbler to the promised land!! 23# 5 oz, 11.5 inch beard and 1 inch spurs.......not to shabby for a first time hunter!
DSCN1837.jpg

DSCN1840.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Buckhunter1
Team 10 Struttin Mutts
4/21/12
Bagged this little guy.in the heavy.rain around 10 this morning.
15lbs. 1/2 spurs. 5inch beard.
Not.huge but I got us on the board.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
341 Posts
Treedog
Team 12 gobble stoppers
4/22/12

Took my son Evan out this morning. Slow start to the morning only heard two from the roost and when they hit the ground they got quiet. Waited till about 8:30 and decided to switch locations. Pulled up and made a call and heard him gobble so we started in to him got set up and 3 calls later he was 15 yards and Evan put a great shot on him. I know now how my dad must have felt when he was teaching me about the outdoors. I hope I can teach Evan the same way and enjoy many more hunt together with him. ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1335121037.843713.jpg ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1335121066.555730.jpg
Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Attachments

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Goshengrrunter team 10! 4-20 and 4-21. took two young ladies out this weekend. had birds working great but just couldnt quite seal the deal. saw over 12 differant mature toms today. girls had a great time. at one point we had 17 deer and 4 toms strutting in front of us at 80 yds in the woods. we hunt big woods and ridges but the toms were more interested in fighting than hens! weird but all the toms were grouped still! my wife and i are gonna keep taking these girls till they get their birds but i wanted to get the points up here!!! ill post pics when the birds down!
LGE-VM510 NetFront/3.5.1 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Super Moderator
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ethan and I hunted both mornings. The first was fairly rainy and no gobbling. Day 2 started off with several birds gobbling on the roost. We were able to pull what sounded like 2 birds to us, but it ended in a stalemate. They sounded so close but we could not see them. Finally, they moved on and our hunt ended. We may get back out, time will tell.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Hunted saturday and sunday of youth season. Saturday was a little rainy and didnt hear anything. Sunday was better, we heard some birds but couldnt get around on them quick enough. The boy i took still had a pretty good time, saw some very neat new country and had a great time camping. We didnt get a turkey during the youth season but a couple of our "neighbors" at turkey camp did. A tom saturday and a jake sunday.

view out into the rain on saturday morning

very different terrain than we have at home

trying to roost a bird friday evening before season

1 - 10 of 10 Posts