Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone hunt turkeys with a 20 gauge? I borrowed on last year and the finances aren't allowing me to get a 12 for this year. If you have, what are some good turkey loads to look for? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Ive killed my last 8 turkeys with a 20ga. i finally bought a new 12 this year and plan to use it! last year and prior years i shot a cheap NEF single shot 20 with 3inch 5 shot winchester turkey loads. I never had a problem knocking a bird down and range was never a problem (i hunt mostly woods though) . imo 20s are great but stay away from 2 3/4 shells. ik know a few guys who have swore off 12s for deer and turkey alike they like the 20 so much...other guys hate 20s. me, i like em both but i like the added range of a 12. with my 20 nef i could comfortably kill a bird at 35 yds
LGE-VM510 NetFront/3.5.1 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Registered
218 Posts
I agree. I would not use the 2 3/4 inch unless you have to. Yes we have killed birds with it, but more were hit and got away.

·
Banned
955 Posts
I carry a 20ga into the turkey woods several times every season....especially when I am hunting wooded/rugged country.

I shoot an 870 26" barrel and have it tipped with a SSX .550 turkey choke and shoot the new federal heavy weight 7's. The HW 7's hit like #5 lead.

If I am hunting more open areas (fields) I will shot my benelli 12ga and hevi-13 #7's. If I am hunting big woods I will take the 20ga. I have yet to kill a bird with my 20 in the spring, but I have taken two birds with it in the fall and it flat out hammers them. My goal is to take one with it this spring.

Most 20ga lead patterns (6's) will hold out to 30 yards. With the new heavier than lead loads out now like federals and hevi shots....at 40 yards you can stone hammer a bird.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I hunt with a 20 gauge exclusively. Part of the fun of turkey hunting for me is to call them in close. I don't want to shoot a bird at 40 yards or more. That just doesn't do it for me. 30 yards and under is my game. The 20 gauge is perfect for that. :biggrin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts