Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has always been vague to me so in the past I've always just bought license and deer permits to be safe.

Questions for Deer Hunting in Ohio:

1. the landowner does not need to purchase a hunting license for hunting on their own land; correct?

2. I live in zone "c". As a landowner hunting on my own land, I do not have to purchase deer permits and am limited to one antlered deer and five antlerless deer or six antlerless deer this season. Is this correct?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Both are correct.
Don't forget if it's urban, you can add those too.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
That's correct. However, and this comes straight from the regs book: Those persons exempted from having a hunting license and deer permit for deer hunting on their property are required to have a hunting license and deer permit to aid another hunter.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Banned
955 Posts
That's correct. However, and this comes straight from the regs book: Those persons exempted from having a hunting license and deer permit for deer hunting on their property are required to have a hunting license and deer permit to aid another hunter.
So if I am reading this correctly, if I take someone hunting on my property and I am "guiding" them, I have to buy a tag? If so, that's a crock. I don't have to have a tag or license to carry a firearm and hunt, but if I am acting as a guide I do?

Hopefully I am reading this incorrect. I can see if I am not on my own property.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Exemptions:

Ohio Resident landowners, spouses and their children - Are not required to have a hunting license, fur taker permit, either-sex deer permit, antlerless deer permit, spring or fall turkey permit or Ohio Wetland Habitat Stamp when they are hunting or trapping on land they own.
• A member of a limited liability company or partnership is a landownder - Provided the member is an Ohio resident and limited liability company or limited liability partnership that consists of three or fewer individual members or partners, or beneficiary or trustee of a trust that has three or fewer trustees and beneficiaries.

• Tenants and their children on land on which they reside and from which they derive the majority (more than 50%) of their income from agricultural production on that land - Are not required to have a hunting license, fur taker permit, either-sex deer permit, antlerless deer permit, spring or fall turkey permit or Ohio Wetland Habitat Stamp when they are hunting or trapping on land where they reside.
• Ohio resident landowners' grandchildren who are under 18 years of age - Are not required to have a hunting license or an Ohio Wetland Habitat Stamp while hunting on their grandparent's land. All other licenses and permits are required.

Ohio residents who are holders of veteran's license plates displaying the international wheelchair symbol - Must apply in writing for a free hunting license, fur taker permit, either-sex deer permit, spring or fall turkey permits and Ohio Wetland Habitat Stamp. Applications are available at wildohio.com.

Certain permanently disabled veterans who are Ohio residents - Must apply in writing for a free hunting license, fur taker permit, either-sex deer permit, spring or fall turkey permits, and Ohio Wetland Habitat Stamp. Applications are available at wildohio.com.

Ohio residents who are Former Prisoners of War - Must apply in writing for a free hunting license, fur taker permit, and Ohio Wetland Habitat Stamp. All other licenses and permits are required. Applications are available at wildohio.com.

Members of the U.S. Armed Forces on active duty, while on leave or furlough - Are not required to purchase a hunting license or Ohio Wetland Habitat Stamp or Furtaker Permit. All other licenses and permits are required.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Didn't they change the grandchildren exemption last year?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
So if I am reading this correctly, if I take someone hunting on my property and I am "guiding" them, I have to buy a tag? If so, that's a crock. I don't have to have a tag or license to carry a firearm and hunt, but if I am acting as a guide I do?

Hopefully I am reading this incorrect. I can see if I am not on my own property.[/QU I am reading this under A DEER HUNTER CAN DO THE FOLLOWING. I would think that if you buddy hunting your property and you point him/her to an area, then no. But if you are driving deer to your buddy or rattling or calling, I would see that as directly aiding. Same with calling in a turkey for a guest. It's kinda goofy if you ask me, but that's what it says. Shouldn't be a problem foq you Darron as you hunt other property and have license and tags, but I covld see it being a problem for somebody that soley hunts their own property with friends.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Exemptions:

Ohio Resident landowners, spouses and their children - Are not required to have a hunting license, fur taker permit, either-sex deer permit, antlerless deer permit, spring or fall turkey permit or Ohio Wetland Habitat Stamp when they are hunting or trapping on land they own.
• A member of a limited liability company or partnership is a landownder - Provided the member is an Ohio resident and limited liability company or limited liability partnership that consists of three or fewer individual members or partners, or beneficiary or trustee of a trust that has three or fewer trustees and beneficiaries.

• Tenants and their children on land on which they reside and from which they derive the majority (more than 50%) of their income from agricultural production on that land - Are not required to have a hunting license, fur taker permit, either-sex deer permit, antlerless deer permit, spring or fall turkey permit or Ohio Wetland Habitat Stamp when they are hunting or trapping on land where they reside.
• Ohio resident landowners' grandchildren who are under 18 years of age - Are not required to have a hunting license or an Ohio Wetland Habitat Stamp while hunting on their grandparent's land. All other licenses and permits are required.

Ohio residents who are holders of veteran's license plates displaying the international wheelchair symbol - Must apply in writing for a free hunting license, fur taker permit, either-sex deer permit, spring or fall turkey permits and Ohio Wetland Habitat Stamp. Applications are available at wildohio.com.

Certain permanently disabled veterans who are Ohio residents - Must apply in writing for a free hunting license, fur taker permit, either-sex deer permit, spring or fall turkey permits, and Ohio Wetland Habitat Stamp. Applications are available at wildohio.com.

Ohio residents who are Former Prisoners of War - Must apply in writing for a free hunting license, fur taker permit, and Ohio Wetland Habitat Stamp. All other licenses and permits are required. Applications are available at wildohio.com.

Members of the U.S. Armed Forces on active duty, while on leave or furlough - Are not required to purchase a hunting license or Ohio Wetland Habitat Stamp or Furtaker Permit. All other licenses and permits are required.
Also there is a Resident Senior Free License and Tags - its fo Geezers - dang :whistle::mischeif:

·
22,521 Posts
Also there is a Resident Senior Free License and Tags - its fo Geezers - dang :whistle::mischeif:
Them geezers ain't free anymore- Januray 1, 1938 and after- dang:biggrin:

66 and older is 10 bucks!:whistle:

·
Banned
955 Posts

Hopefully I am reading this incorrect. I can see if I am not on my own property.[/QU I am reading this under A DEER HUNTER CAN DO THE FOLLOWING. I would think that if you buddy hunting your property and you point him/her to an area, then no. But if you are driving deer to your buddy or rattling or calling, I would see that as directly aiding. Same with calling in a turkey for a guest. It's kinda goofy if you ask me, but that's what it says. Shouldn't be a problem foq you Darron as you hunt other property and have license and tags, but I covld see it being a problem for somebody that soley hunts their own property with friends.
That's the weirdest law I have seen in sometime. I don't need a license/tag to carry a firearm and hunt on my own place, but I need one to assist another hunter. In essense, if I wanted to take a walk on my property during hunting season I would need a tag if I knew someone else was hunting........:coco: I would be sure to fight that one in court. Sounds like another BS law just to get some extra $ for the state.

You are correct about hunting other properties, but it does become a concern if I fill my normal tags early and don't buy anymore tags because I plan to only hunt my property. There are a lot of grey areas in that law and IMO would be extremely hard to enforce.

·
22,521 Posts

Those persons exempted from having a hunting license and deer permits for deer hunting on their property are required to have a hunting license and deer permit to aid another hunter off of their property or hunt deer off of their property.

http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/regulations/hunting_deer.aspx

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
even if they have no weapon,i'm thinking as in guiding a person...:mischeif:

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Those persons exempted from having a hunting license and deer permits for deer hunting on their property are required to have a hunting license and deer permit to aid another hunter off of their property or hunt deer off of their property.

http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/regulations/hunting_deer.aspx[/QU Then they need to change their wording cause it doesn't say aid another off their property or hunt deer off of their property, it says aid another or hunt off of their property. Can be interpreted either way.

·
22,521 Posts

http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/regulations/hunting_deer.aspx[/QU Then they need to change their wording cause it doesn't say aid another off their property or hunt deer off of their property, it says aid another or hunt off of their property. Can be interpreted either way.
:confused::confused:

·
Registered
48,626 Posts

http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/regulations/hunting_deer.aspx
boy that law gets broke a lot...especially by deer drivers...some guys have just 5 acres,these are the same guys writing in licenses for their kids...their spouse...1 wife +2 kids=4 bucks...all free and maybe not even on his land...highly abused...:biggrin:

·
22,521 Posts
boy that law gets broke a lot...especially by deer drivers...some guys have just 5 acres,these are the same guys writing in licenses for their kids...their spouse...1 wife +2 kids=4 bucks...all free and maybe not even on his land...highly abused...:biggrin:
Hooks baited- but this fish ain't biting!:bouncy:

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
just stating a fact...i've left more than one place because of this one...nothing peeves me more than a guy bragging how many bucks he got...sad thang it can be hard to prove sometimes...as i found out once...the guy never knew i turned him in but if he does...a lot of people wont be too nice to me...but thats ok...i've sorta got out of that circle...if they poach theyll break our other laws too...the good thang is this guy either stopped or wont brag any more...:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
At the age of 66 and over I believe. Residents only.

RGJZ06

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
just stating a fact...i've left more than one place because of this one...nothing peeves me more than a guy bragging how many bucks he got...sad thang it can be hard to prove sometimes...as i found out once...the guy never knew i turned him in but if he does...a lot of people wont be too nice to me...but thats ok...i've sorta got out of that circle...if they poach theyll break our other laws too...the good thang is this guy either stopped or wont brag any more...:biggrin:
Hope you were never in that circle. You must mean hanging out with people like that. I'm with you about breaking the law not to mention wiping out the deer herd.

RGJZ06

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Hope you were never in that circle. You must mean hanging out with people like that. I'm with you about breaking the law not to mention wiping out the deer herd.

RGJZ06
i still talk to them but wont hunt with them...i never hunted with the guy i turned in...actually i very seldom see him...he's just an aquaintence...he has been turned in by others but i dont think he was ever convicted...:D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts