Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot my second turkey of the season this afternoon. First time ever that I have shot two turkeys in one season. I couldn't have done without being able to hunt until past noon and a big thanks go out to the two hens that acted as live "decoys". It's not very often a turkey hunter gets to "thank" hens.

The stats: Another 2 year old gobbler. 3/4" and 7/8" spurs. 9.5" beard. 18 pounds. 25-30 yard shot using my 20 gauge Remington 870 with Hevishot #6 shot. I first spied this gobbler just before 8am and I shot him at 2:53pm.

Story in my blog:
Persistence and patience leads to turkey hunting success

·
Registered
328 Posts
It's kind of bittersweet isn't it?

Tagging out makes you happy but then you realize, that's it until next year. I was excited after I tagged out but now, whenever I have free time I think, "man, I could be out hunting right now." (My work at the office has increased though. that should make my boss happy)

Only 11 months and some change until next spring gobbler season.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Very nice! Congrats on getting both tags filled. Patience pays off. I hope to be able to get out tuesday and try and do the same for the first time too! Way to get it done.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
bluedog,
Congradulations on another fine turkey! :cool:

I'm after my second turkey, with a bow. :whistle:

Bowhunter57

·
Registered
28 Posts
Air force that's what p.a. Is for.. I tagged out in Ohio first week and went to pa a few times and ended up shooting a 27lb with 11 3/4 and 1 3/4- 1 1/2 spurs ... Last week ..

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
328 Posts
Air force that's what p.a. Is for.. I tagged out in Ohio first week and went to pa a few times and ended up shooting a 27lb with 11 3/4 and 1 3/4- 1 1/2 spurs ... Last week ..

Funny you should mention that... I went to PA for deer last season and didn't realize until recently that my tag included a spring turkey tag that is still unfilled. Long story short, I managed to get some leave next week and will be going to my grandpa's place to try for turkey 3.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Congrats bluedog. Really enjoyed the story. My season has been one of the worst in years. I started a new job March 12 and just the lack of time to hunt has been the problem. I have been hunting close to home (Greene county) and we a just starting to get a decent flock established. I had watched a flock of 6 2 year birds all through deer archery season and up until about 3 weeks before turkey season started, then they vanished. I have still enjoyed the few times I have gotten out. Next year will be better as I will have vacation time again. The highlight of my seasom was gettin the coyote last week.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Registered
905 Posts
Congrats bluedog. Really enjoyed the story. My season has been one of the worst in years. I started a new job March 12 and just the lack of time to hunt has been the problem. I have been hunting close to home (Greene county) and we a just starting to get a decent flock established. I had watched a flock of 6 2 year birds all through deer archery season and up until about 3 weeks before turkey season started, then they vanished. I have still enjoyed the few times I have gotten out. Next year will be better as I will have vacation time again. The highlight of my seasom was gettin the coyote last week.
I'm in the same boat, worst season ever, haven't got to work a single bird yet, every bird is miles away

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is funny how seasons go. The two toms that I shot have been the only 2 toms that I have seen on our farm. I've heard no gobbling in the usual roosting area on my neighbor's place. And yet I watched the winter flock this year and it was 70+ birds strong which is the norm. If our resident turkey numbers were down, I would not have taken 2 birds, but I know the population is right up where it usually is. It's just that the birds are not on our farm like usual. Within the blocks of surrounding woods where the turkeys disperse to every spring, there was a 120 acre chunk that was logged out last year. It seems to have changed things around a bit so now I guess I am adjusting to a new normal as far as patterns and where birds are located. I guess I don't have to figure it any more this season.

About 8 or so years ago I had a season where I hunted around 60 hours and 3 jakes were the only turkeys I saw the entire season. That was a very very long season to be sure.

Still, your coyote story was very very cool. :biggrin: :biggrin: That does not happen very often, at least up here it doesn't.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Funny you should mention that... I went to PA for deer last season and didn't realize until recently that my tag included a spring turkey tag that is still unfilled. Long story short, I managed to get some leave next week and will be going to my grandpa's place to try for turkey 3.
I have been itching to hunt Pennsylvania for years. But every time I think about plopping down money, I think about the Sunday hunting issue. My days I could hunt are Sunday and Monday. I have a hard time supporting a program that wipes out 50% of my hunting opportunity right off the bat. Plus they shut down small game season on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Two days that are fun to spend time with family in the woods enjoying God's gift of the outdoors. And so my money sits in my bank account. For now. Until I change my mind or they change theirs. LOL!

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have been itching to hunt Pennsylvania for years. But every time I think about plopping down money, I think about the Sunday hunting issue. My days I could hunt are Sunday and Monday. I have a hard time supporting a program that wipes out 50% of my hunting opportunity right off the bat. Plus they shut down small game season on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Two days that are fun to spend time with family in the woods enjoying God's gift of the outdoors. And so my money sits in my bank account. For now. Until I change my mind or they change theirs. LOL!
That is a very annoying law in PA. And this will probably be the last year I hunt in there for a few years. Before, that was the only place I had to hunt. Nobody else in my family owned land and I lived in a densely populated area in Nebraska for the last 6 years. This is the first year I have had permission somewhere local to hunt. Honestly, I think you and I are spoiled where we are at. Healthy deer numbers, very healthy turkey numbers and plenty of acreage. I have a hard time justifying a $100+ tag to take a buck and a tom anymore... Until I move on to my next assignment in Florida (crossing my fingers). Then maybe I will come back to PA to hunt.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
The bird I briefly worked the morning I shot the coyote in Pike county was the only action I had and it only lasted until a hen slipped into the bottom between us. I hope the birds here at home do well. I said I would only harvest 1 here, and was trying to do it with my bow. maybe this is the price I had to pay after a phenominal deer archery season !!! Probably will hit Pike county 1 more time next weekend. Maybe go out a couple times this week after work here in Greene. It just gets discouraging not seeing or hearing anything every time I go out.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Congrats!!!! I tagged out, know it feels awesome!!

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts
That's awesome to hear. You had a wonderful season. Congratulations and as always thank you for sharing your experiences with us. :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Im pretty sure they voted for Sunday hunting last June and it passed .. They were gonna start it for turkey season but decided they would just wait till next year.. So as far as I know we will have Sunday rights next year .. They deff have some whacked out rules..some people tried to get it shot down but it didn't work..

·
Registered
328 Posts
Im pretty sure they voted for Sunday hunting last June and it passed .. They were gonna start it for turkey season but decided they would just wait till next year.. So as far as I know we will have Sunday rights next year .. They deff have some whacked out rules..some people tried to get it shot down but it didn't work..

Sorry blue, I don't mean to hijack your thread (and somebody can respond to me in a PM if they want). But what was the reason? Is it religious? I assume the rule has been around forever. It's just dumb to take a weekend day away from hunters.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry blue, I don't mean to hijack your thread (and somebody can respond to me in a PM if they want). But what was the reason? Is it religious? I assume the rule has been around forever. It's just dumb to take a weekend day away from hunters.
My philosophy of open forums are threads are made for hijacking (kind of like boots are made for walking) so hijack away! Besides this subject is near and dear to my heart as I have lived a stone's throw from the PA state line for over a decade and so want to hunt over there. And nothing is more appropriate than a bluedog discussing Blue Laws.

Here is a link to the wiki article on Blue Laws

(tried to insert the link here but keep getting a fatal error message that seems to have something to do with the wiki link so you will have to Google it yourself, sorry)

I did a little searching on the web and everything I have found seems to indicate that PA HB1760 is stalled in committee. If that is incorrect then I would love to hear more. The topic of Sunday Hunting is still going on hot and heavy over on the HuntingPA forums.

I was also thinking that the proposal was just to open up Sunday hunting on private lands if the landowner said ok. This would do me no good if public land was not opened up as well. Again, I could be wrong on that.

Funny how everyone can fish (or choose not to fish) on Sunday, but the same choice is not given to hunters. Wonder when PA will wake up to the illogical nature of this law against Sunday hunting (although I believe you can hunt coyote, crows and I think something else, maybe groundhogs? on Sunday).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts