close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1st fawn of 2017!

Discussion in 'Ohio Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Deehntr56, May 16, 2017.

1. Deehntr56

Deehntr56 Staff Member Mod

Got home tonight and happened to look outside and noticed something flickering next to a log in neighbors yard. I finally put together the outline of a deer which looked like a doe laying down in neighbors yard. I then see something else move and notice the doe is laying down and has s fawn she is licking.

The flickering was the fawn tail as mom was cleaning and licking her. Looks like it was born today or just the last few hours based on how it was acting . I was able to get on neighbors deck and take a few pics.

Earliest ever here for 1st sighting. The Earliest before this I think was the 27th of May. I have noticed many of the Doe's here are pregnant- by my baby "bump" count, over 75% of the ones I am seeing look the part and the other night, of the seven that were feeding across the street, all of them looked like they were about to have at least one of the little ones.

[​IMG]

2. I was waiting for the first sighting! Good eyes there, 56! ;)

3. 200 gestation days back give or take a few from today would make it the last week of Oct. first week on Nov. she would have been bred which is right on track ...

4. Deehntr56

I have an advantage in sightings. Every year there are a few does that have their fawns in this area so I get to see them as it goes down. There are a couple more fawning areas across the street as well. The fenced in area to the left of this doe has had fawns born inside the fence by a doe 3 out of the last 5 years. She jumps the fence and lingers until she does. This one was born right in the corner of two properties.

The does know where the safe havens are and plan accordingly. The does have been feeding heavily the last few weeks and hanging together..... yesterday they have started to break up and disperse. Just like all the previous years. Their patterns are roughly the same.

5. Ive got some fat does ready to pop that vie been watching, haven't showed up on camera yet though.

Deehntr56 likes this.
  6. Where I hunt got around 8inches of rain. It was flooded the worst some older people can ever remember. Water rescues and crazy stuff. it was creepy looking across and seeing water covering every field with no break in the radar during the couple hours of straight down pour. 12 miles east just got over an inch is all. Bad timing for all young newborn animals. my favorite bar had water up to the bar stools......sucks.

7. Saw my first fawn last night. It was still wobbly legged. I marched back on a calendar 201 days and that puts conception Nov. 4th.
    [​IMG]free photo upload

8. Deehntr56

The does patterns have dramatically changed since the 1st sighting- most have changed their daily routines and patterns and most have not been around the last several days. I have seen two of them chasing off last years-yearlings and setting up their nesting area for the new ones this year. I have seen this several times over the years in May. We have gone from 8-11 Does every night feeding in the field I saw them in the last 3-4 weeks, to one the last two nights.

I know one has a young fawn or two in a small woodlot/grassy area across the street-but she has not brought the young ones out yet. She will come out for a bit, get a drink and eat and go back in......they typically have fawns every year in this area.

This has been an earlier start of this yearly routine compared to the previous 5 years here.

This is the area where the one was born that I posted above......my dog was "very" interested in this area when we got down wind.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RMK, Kyle13 and bowkills like this.
  9. Captured this rare picture.. just down the road from my house. The doe looks huge. I thought she'd have twins or triplets. Saw them again the next day with my wife.

Attached Files:

RMK, ohihunter2014, bluedog and 4 others like this.
  10. Going to tell the wife she has no pain thresh hold...Why the epidermal shot?Maybe next time ill stand above her as she is giving birth...Honey you know deer give birth all the time naturally...Don't you think you should...

11. Deehntr56

Saw my 1st fawn in over a week this morning. Running along with Mom. They disappeared in some high grass near by. They have eluded me more than normal this year. Normally I'll have a hand full of pics by now. Seen two more does tonight that really look like they are still very pregnant, so it looks like a few more will be around as well.

I'll keep at it and hopefully run into a few as they get more mobile.

RMK and bluedog like this.
  12. I was mowing a graveyard when i saw a fawn running across the yield. I think the farmer replanting corn across the road must have bumped it idk. It came into the cemetery and laid down in a regrowing lilac bush. I shut the mower off snuck back to look. 10yard's away its hard to see. Took a pic but the phone is way to blurry to see anything. I stopped mowing for the day. I didn't want to bump it further into wide open spaces. Hopefully momma finds it tonight. Could be the same one I saw an hour before a mile away running. Who knows. Neat way to break up the work day.

Deehntr56 likes this.
  13. Deehntr56

As I noted earlier it's been a tough spring in finding the little ones compared to other years, but I saw one with Mom yesterday and got a quick camera shot on a single one just a little while ago- I'm still seeing a few Does that are either pregnant or their eating extremely well.......:D

[​IMG]

bluedog and RMK like this.
  14. Saw my first fawns last friday june 9th. momma crossed the rd out of tall grass just south of our barn headed into the timber across the rd. Two little ones in tow. same grass that i got a picture of a single fawn last year. glad they are reproducing and hope they all make it at least a couple more years.

Deehntr56 likes this.
  15. Deehntr56

Mom and a little one out for a walk tonight a few doors down the road.....

[​IMG]

RMK and bluedog like this.
  16. So stinkin' cute! My husband said he saw a TINY fawn with a doe about a week or two ago. I've not seen one yet but truth be told I have not been anywhere where I would expect to see one. Keep the pictures coming!

Deehntr56 and Steve like this.
  17. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin Mod

I never seems to catch them that soon after they are born. I did have one just about run me over by my cabin this past weekend. It seemed confused and looking for mom.

bluedog likes this.
  18. They make some pretty neat sounds.
    I heard one bawling a couple years ago.So I went down the driveway.Steped in the woods and the dawn comes running up to me.Then all the sudden all h..l broke lose.Its mom came charging towards me she was making crazy a.. sounds like growling and snorting like a pig never heard anything like it. Needless to say I left immediately.

Same day I was having a bonfire and I go over to man cave to grab couple pieces of wood and their is a fawn laying their.

19. Posted this in the deer cam section under velvet updates but I figured it was appropriate for the fawn thread. The little guys are using a ROW clearing as a race track. Looks like about 5 fawns from 3 does.

jrose, bluedog, Steve and 1 other person like this.