Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends.....thought I would blow the cob webs out of my 1903 Springfield and take her to the range....
I do not have any reloads worked up for it as of yet so I stopped at wally world bought a box of Winchester 150gr factory ammo and headed to the range. It was a good day. After getting her zeroed in at 100yds.....she printed this pretty nice group at 100yds.....I was using the ladder peep sight....

·
22,528 Posts
Pretty good shootin for iron sights!
Paul forgot to tell you it was from 10 feet Sam- he added the 2nd zero by accident!!:yikes::biggrin::biggrin:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paul forgot to tell you it was from 10 feet Sam- he added the 2nd zero by accident!!:yikes::biggrin::biggrin:
Now John...just because a shot a group doing that one time....does not mean I do it anymore.....I am re-formed :whistle:

·
22,528 Posts
Now John...just because a shot a group doing that one time....does not mean I do it anymore.....I am re-formed :whistle:
OK-
>
Nice group-:D

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks John :)

And I still almost like Ohio St.............

Hey....keep an eye on the Bobcats this year.....should be just as good this year

And my son got a promo...he is special team coordinator

·
7,173 Posts
Paul you have one year to practice for the Vintage Military Rifle match at Camp Perry. :bouncy:

The National Springfield Rifle Match is a CMP Games event where all competitors must fire "as-issued" M1903 or M1903A3 rifles that comply with CMP rules for as-issued military rifles. As a CMP Games event, the Springfield Match stresses participation, camaraderie and history and offers an ambience that makes Springfield Match Day a truly enjoyable experience for competitors. Competitors can fire in both the Springfield and Vintage Military Rifle Matches on the same day or they can fire one event on Friday, 3 August, and one event on Saturday afternoon, 4 August.

The 200-yard As-Issued Military Rifle Match Course A (Table 7) is used for the Springfield Match. Shooters begin with five sighting or practice shots and ten shots for record in the prone position, to be fired in 15 minutes. This is followed by a prone rapid-fire series. Shooters begin the rapid-fire stage from the standing position where they are commanded to load, then get into the prone position and fire ten shots, with one reload, within the 80-second time limit. The final ten record shots are fired in the standing position with a 10-minute time limit.
The National Vintage Military Rifle Match is a CMP Games event where competitors must fire "as-issued" U. S. Krag or M1917 rifles or manually operated foreign military rifles. The Vintage Military Rifle Match encourages recreation-oriented target shooters to use these fascinating military rifles in target shooting events that strive to preserve military marksmanship traditions. Competitors can fire in both the Springfield and Vintage Military Rifle Matches on the same day or they can fire one event on 3 August and one event on the afternoon of 4 August.

The 200-yard As-Issued Military Rifle Course A (Table 7) is used for the Vintage Military Rifle Match. Shooters begin with five sighting shots and ten shots for record in prone in a 15-minute time period. This is followed by 10 shots rapid-fire prone in 80 seconds. The final ten record shots are fired in the standing position with a 10-minute time limit.

http://odcmp.com/NM/CMPGames.htm

·
Registered
393 Posts
Man that would be fun......but I would have to get you to go up to coach me.......:D
Once I get retired..if I ever do...I would like to get into matches as such...I do not expect to be a ball of fire....I choke pretty bad though....:biggrin:

·
7,173 Posts
I signed up last year but something came up and I couldn't go. Didn't sign up this year and it's a good this because a week ago we had a bunch of wind damage and been busy cleaning up.

Camp perry is something to experience. If you go I'd recommend doing the small arms firing school first. That will get you acclimated to how a match operates. there are some informal local shoots you can try too.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
I got to shoot the Camp Perry range in 1959 with a M1 Grand - while in the USMC - we stayed for a week - lotz of fun - it was regular qualifying for our recruitment detachment from Detroit - also got to go ta sniper school while in Japan in 55 - used the M1 Grand sniper rifle with a scope and leather lace on cheek piece - that was fun also - mostly shooting - nothing like the modern day snipers go thru - dang those guys are special - dang :whistle::mischeif:

·
7,173 Posts
I got to shoot the Camp Perry range in 1959 with a M1 Grand - while in the USMC - we stayed for a week - lotz of fun - it was regular qualifying for our recruitment detachment from Detroit - also got to go ta sniper school while in Japan in 55 - used the M1 Grand sniper rifle with a scope and leather lace on cheek piece - that was fun also - mostly shooting - nothing like the modern day snipers go thru - dang those guys are special - dang :whistle::mischeif:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts