Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I recently picked up a new Savage 17HMR R17, stainless with a thumbhole stock. I have been looking around for a good squirrel round in the 17 HMR.

I would primarily be using the gun for garden protection, but also would like to take it down for "squirrel fest" in Washington county this fall with some family. I have read head shots are usually warranted to salvage any meat. I have been looking to the CCI 20 grain FMJ, and the Hornady 17gr Vmax. I am wondering if it really makes that much of a difference if I will be just concentrating on head shots? Let me know if you guys have any experience or thoughts with this. Thanks

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I realy like the hornady v-max!!!! Buy a small box/case of each and see such one it shoots best. Mine did good with both but I chose the hornady

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
i had good luck with hornady as well. the 20gr shot very accurate and the 17gr. I get the 17gr cause i can find them on sale most of the time.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
i had good luck with hornady as well. the 20gr shot very accurate and the 17gr. I get the 17gr cause i can find them on sale most of the time.
Me too!!!! And a sale means im buying. That's the only way I can get stuff like I need a new blind and want a hub style I almost bought one at dicks in February cause it was 75% off but.still $135 and say nah and i found one on sportsmansguide.com last nite for $79 and if I buy some other things I need ill spend $130 and any order over $125 is free shiping so ill get a blind and a new coat gloves and base layers for half the price

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Been using the Hornady 20gr bullets for squirrel. A couple weeks ago I bought some of the 15.5gr NTX lead free bullets to try out on groundhogs since I leave them for the turkey vultures to eat and was concerned about the vultures eating lead fragments. They seem to be working well too. I've shot two groundhogs so far with the lead free bullets and both just fell over dead. Both were pretty short range though. (20-30 yards :D ).

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
We sometimes will.use a 17 hmr to.**** hunt.. It definatley does the job but it blows too big of a hole in the pelt

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How does the 20 grain expansion compare to that of the 17 grain? I know the 17gr basically fragments leave a big hole. Will the 20 grain retain more mass and save less meat on a squirrel of body shots, or just plan on head shots with anything coming out of a 17hmr?

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
How does the 20 grain expansion compare to that of the 17 grain? I know the 17gr basically fragments leave a big hole. Will the 20 grain retain more mass and save less meat on a squirrel of body shots, or just plan on head shots with anything coming out of a 17hmr?
I have never used the 17grain but with the 20gr I take head shots only. Of course every once in awhile I've missed my mark. One time I didn't even have to gut the squirrel. Yep. Take head shots. :)

Sent from my SCH-I405

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hey all,

I recently picked up a new Savage 17HMR R17, stainless with a thumbhole stock. I have been looking around for a good squirrel round in the 17 HMR.

I would primarily be using the gun for garden protection, but also would like to take it down for "squirrel fest" in Washington county this fall with some family. I have read head shots are usually warranted to salvage any meat. I have been looking to the CCI 20 grain FMJ, and the Hornady 17gr Vmax. I am wondering if it really makes that much of a difference if I will be just concentrating on head shots? Let me know if you guys have any experience or thoughts with this. Thanks
I've used the CCI 20 grain FMJ's for squirrel and now prefer them over any type of round for squirrel. Besides being incredibly accurate, you can afford to not have perfect shot placement. So if you aren't a sharpshooter you'll appreciate that.

Below is a link to a previous post of mine regarding my field test of the FMJ.
http://www.ohiosportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48627

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use 20gr. fmj in my single six, drops groundhogs quite well ( 50 yds or less ), doesn't tear up a squirrel to badly, again short range shots, try for head shots but still have squirrel left if I'm off a little.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I just picked up a box of CCI's TNT 17hmr's. They are 17 grain jacketed hollow points. I haven't shot them yet. Has anyone ever tried them?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I just picked up a box of CCI's TNT 17hmr's. They are 17 grain jacketed hollow points. I haven't shot them yet. Has anyone ever tried them?
I have lots of these rounds mostly for target practice because I got them on sale about a year ago. I tried them on squirrel once and my shot was a little off and I hit the chest. It blew a hole about the size of a quarter in the squirrel's ribcage.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still awaiting the arrival of my 17, but it should be in this week to shoot after getting back from a bachelor party to Nashville! After reading a bit more and your input I will pick up the 17 gr and 20gr, but most likely will be hunting with the 20gr FMJ. I also may try a couple "field tests" on other likely prey to see the effects, then choose from there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts